unfertile eggs?

Moderator: Mods

LadyCalypso

unfertile eggs?

Post by LadyCalypso »

Is it normal to have a 7 year old cock and a 3 year old hen who are set up for the first time breeding (for the hen) not sure If the cock has had a clutch before to have unfertile eggs they laid one clutch that was clear and I pulled those eggs out and she laid another and those where also unfertile does anyone have any suggestions on why this would happen is it just that they do not know what they are doing? Or something else
LadyCalypso

Re: unfertile eggs?

Post by LadyCalypso »

This pair seems healthy I got them about 4 months ago and they have been together for at least a year so I do not think it is that as far as their history I know nothing I had purchased them from a woman that was giving up all of her breeding birds due to cancer and she has now moved to a different state so I think that she told me they have never had a clutch due to she was waiting for the female to turn three before she would breed them and this is the year she was going to breed them but they are not proven But I have not seen any mating going on she just lays eggs so maybe she does not know she needs to breed in order to put something in the eggs lol thanks molossus this will give me a few things to watch for and think about
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

OK I will try that after this season gets over for me it has just began also I do keep my birds indoors in a bird room I do not have a lot of pairs only five but they are all young most are under 4yrs 2 cocks are 7yrs not sure if I will have any luck breeding any of them but I put up the nest boxes any how :)
sottobosco

Post by sottobosco »

you might try clipping the cocks nails. If his nails are sharp and digging into the hens back she might not be able to stand still during the breeding. Good luck!
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Hi just an update so on the pair listed above I removed 2 clutches of infertile eggs and she still laid a 3rd and in the 3rd clutch she finally has at least one or two that are fertile lol guess she really wanted to be a mother this year yay hope she will be able to feed ok being a first time for her
Also I have another hen that is 2 that has laid two eggs she will also be a first time mother hope they are fertile also I will keep you all updated Thanks for your replies
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Lady,

Congratulations :D

Subodh
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Thanks subodh I am very exited now I hope all works and chicks will be OK and parents feed well