Calling IRN breeders from Australia

Moderator: Mods

willowisp71

Re: Calling IRN breeders from Australia

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi molossus,

As you probably know, I'm not a breeder (YET, lol), but having spent the last month searching for breeders in my area of the woods, South-West Western Australia (Perth mainly), it appears that most breeders birds are going down for the first time around late July/early august, with first clutches hatching end of August/early September. Not sure if this helps or not, and hopefully other breeders from other parts of the state, and Australia, can answer your query too.
Regards Deb
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I am in Central West NSW. I pair my birds up at the end of June and I have my first eggs laid by the end of July / early August. I havent had an Egg laid after the end of Sept. But having said that a breeder up the road has a Hen laying a second clutch right now. By December I am moving all my Pairs and Weaned Chicks into larger flights.

I would of thought it would of started earlier as you move North as its a lot hotter up that way and the Winters are milder.
ringneckluv

Post by ringneckluv »

It has been a bit of a strange season in QLD this year. The weather has been a bit all over the place mainly very dry and hot, but 2010 & 2011 season our first eggs appeared at the start of july and 2012 first eggs were start of August and second clutches are happening as we speak, touch wood. Rain seems to have an influence on production times and sizes but i could be wrong.
smick

Post by smick »

I live near the southern highlands nsw and none of my pairs do anything untill late August and into September and one pair not until the end of September and start of October. Maybe the cold mornings makes them hold off. Most off my Australian birds don't nest until late september. Even my Gouldian finchs which are supposed to nest through winter do not nest until late winter and into spring, i have a lot off young Gouldians fledging now.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

QLD - My first egg was laid on 7th July but overall laying starts end of July-August - I could say that the breeding season's closing Bell just rang this weekend.

Odd season this year.
Last ringneck pair breeding on eggs 12 days old (triple clutched)
however my green cheeks just laid 3rd clutch, first egg laid yesterday 4 NOV
and my Turq. Violet is going through molt
I have had highest number of DIS & DAH this year including the conures.

My friend breeding 25+ pairs just pulled all nestboxes.

So i'd say the breeding season here in QLD is all but finished.

Ben
Chienderace

Post by Chienderace »

I have had similar results to you Ben, a lot of DIS inspite of spraying with warm water. First egg on July 2nd, last pair down, 17th Sept, only one egg. large no of early dead due I think to laying during the cold weather and striking before incubation proper. To me this season started very early, probably because of the high rainfall earlier in the year. Only two pairs double clutched whereas usually most of them double up. Some birds are already in the moult.
smick

Post by smick »

Do you think because all my pairs start late in the season ,none of my pairs have ever double clutched.i dont onow if others near me start late.my mate lives near liverpool and none of hes pairs went down.my indigo blue cock and double factor violet blue hens eggs were infertile and its been six weeks since she left the nest and no sign of trying again.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Smick
Are your cages positioned right?
Make sure they are facing East.

smick

Post by smick »

Almost all my avairies face east the only exception is two up the back which face north, one has budgies in it and the other a pair of red rumps and they double clutch, so direction isn't a factor.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Sorry Molossus for hijacking the topic.

I have checked our records and we breed equally well in aviaries that face east/west at my dad's, and north/south at my place. Why is east such a big factor? Looking forward to your responses.
smick

Post by smick »

I think the main reason for facing east is for the morning sun and protection from southwesterly winds in winter/ early spring. Birds such as scarlet chested parrots and gouldian finchs are exspecially effected from these winds and losses will occur. North is still good as the back wall will stop the wind. All my avairies are solid walled on the southern side to stop the south westerlies, thanks smick
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

My last pair of ringnecks are on eggs due to hatch.
Your bird might have jetlagg :lol:
Auntybabe

Post by Auntybabe »

I live on the Coast about an hour South of Sydney NSW. This year mine layed 1st week August and then around 8 October.
sunny&storm

Post by sunny&storm »

I live in largs bay, south australia.
and my pair have had thie first babies every. they hatched around 3 weeks ago and going strong. where in sa are you?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Congratz Molossus !
I doubt that anyone has. Even if they did it would probably be an exception.
What conclusions can we draw from this?

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

The main factor i believe is the weather, if you have a climate controled enviroment it'd be possible to do here as well.
Look at the temp for next 2 weeks here:
http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/australia/brisbane
When summer hits, ringnecks stops breeding.
What sort of temperatures did you have in the last couple of months? rather cool? worked in your favour.
Best of luck and hope the other pairs lays eggs.
I assume that the birds next season will breed same time with your SA birds.

Ben
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

I think it is mostly a matter of their biological clocks being out of sync due to the move from Oz to the northern hemisphere, and then back to the southern hemisphere. I'm sure that by next year they will have sync'ed up again with our local conditions when they go through our winter period and breed between middle June and end of September.

I'm holding both thumbs that the eggs are fertile! That is my biggest concern with these "out of season" eggs. Buth both thumbs!
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Molossus- as to wanting to know if local breeders are having pairs laying still. I discovered a pair laid their first egg for their 3rd clutch yesterday. Not sure if I should pull it or leave it. Another pair had their second clutch of eggs but were infertile. I couldn't get into the nest box because of the rain and had not managed to get them out. I went to take them out a week or so ago only to discover she had started laying again too.

Carmen
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

:D Mayan Calendar is ending :lol:
Might have s-thing to do with it.
(just kidding)
http://news.discovery.com/history/maya- ... 20629.html
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

McmillanBirds wrote:Molossus- as to wanting to know if local breeders are having pairs laying still. I discovered a pair laid their first egg for their 3rd clutch yesterday. Not sure if I should pull it or leave it. Another pair had their second clutch of eggs but were infertile. I couldn't get into the nest box because of the rain and had not managed to get them out. I went to take them out a week or so ago only to discover she had started laying again too.

Carmen
Three clutches?! I should send you some of my pairs. You seem to be much better at it than me! Just to play it safe, I'm going to go check all my nestboxes today. :lol:
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hahaha and here I was getting happy thinking breeding season was finally done. I wouldnt mind taking on your pairs Johan :wink:
DavidAdelaide

Post by DavidAdelaide »

Some great information in this thread
I am assuming South Australia's breeding season will be generally close to Queensland, perhaps slightly delayed.
Is my interpretation correct?