is there a visual way to tell if an albino is a male?

Moderator: Mods

littlemiraclesaviary

is there a visual way to tell if an albino is a male?

Post by littlemiraclesaviary »

i just got an albino "hen" today and it seems to have the perfect outline of a males ring around its neck but it is extremely faint and can only be seen up close but it is the perfect shape of a males ring and is a very faint silver grey colour? could this be present in a female or is this bird a male? i heard albino males dont get rings but this one is very faint and can only be seen up close
cassie.c87

Re: is there a visual way to tell if an albino is a male?

Post by cassie.c87 »

Hi does your IRN have red eyes? a true albino it won't produce a ring, but I have read on here they can produce a shaded line with their feathers (not sure if it happens in just male or both).
If it doesn't have red eyes then it's not an albino and would more likely be a very dilute grey or something? sorry not much help lol, I'm sure someone who know's more about mutations etc could help you more :D
littlemiraclesaviary

No it definitely has red eyes I just checked again and they are red. The ring is almost invisible its just like you describe a shadow. Its a very faint grey that you can only see up close and it is shaped perfectly like the rings on my males that I have. I was just wondering if anyone had come across this before as from what I was told Albinos don't get rings however this one is almost invisible. I have ordered the kits to do a DNA sexing I guess I will just have to wait a couple of weeks to find out.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Do you know what the parents of this bird were?
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Keep us posted. I have seen albinos with red eyes displaying this faint shadowike ring. I do not know if they were male or female. Maybe it happens when in combination with cinnamon as it does with cockatiels. The cinnamon bleeds through the ino allowing you to see pearl and pied markings in tiels that are ino.
littlemiraclesaviary

I just got the DNA sexing kits in the mail today so I will send them off next week