sinbad has imprisoned echo

Moderator: Mods

birdman5000

sinbad has imprisoned echo

Post by birdman5000 »

my male has been gaurding the entrence to the nest box and not letting my female out he still enters the box to feed her but every time she trys to leave the box he blocks her when he does move away she runs out to try and stretch/eat but he then either trys to mate with her and if she refuses he chases her back in the box, or sometimes he forgets the foreplay and goes strieght to an attack. she has 3 eggs in the nest so i know she should be in there most the time but he seems to want her in there all the time.

is this normal/ok or should i be concerned ?

he wouldnt let her die in there right!? :?

P.S. have pics on the way having trouble getting them on the site.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

JUst keep a very close eye on them, she should be alright if he is feeding her regularly.
If, at any point, he goes in the box with her and they start fighting, get him out of there immediately.
Have they actually mated? I get the feeling she laid eggs and they didn't mate, hence, his frustration. Just leave them for a bit, if you don't feel he is feeding her enough, take him out and place him next door if possible.
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

thanks jeremy, and to answer your question yes they were mating weeks before laying and still have not stopped mating even though she has started laying.
i have seen them mating at least once a day.
i have been watching the cage and listening every time i see him go in but have not opened it to watch as not to disturb them i just listen for yells and comotion,
but if they do fight should i separate them till hatching and/or brooding are done ,
or just till he seems to have calmed down and she has gotten a bite to eat
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

If they do start fihting inside the nestbox, or at anytime, he pins her down on the ground, i would seperate them until the eggs have hatched and the babies are fledged or taken for handraising. I wouldn't introduce him back in there
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »