First time breeder. please help answer my questions

Moderator: Mods

sunny&storm

First time breeder. please help answer my questions

Post by sunny&storm »

Hey. My name is Em, I live in adelaide, south australia. I have 2 IRN Sunny who is female and she is yellowstorm who is male and is blue.
we have had them since they were 8 weeks old and they are from separate breeder. they are now going on 3. They both live in the same cage.
this is the first season since they have mated. I noticed today that there is a egg in her nest box.
my first question is will she lay all her eggs before she sits on them full time? she is in the nesting box lots but not all the time. and they are near the back door. should i move them so she doesnt want to come out everytime someone is outside??
my second questions is. i do not have time to hand rear the babies but i want them to be friendly. at what stage can we handle the babies so they are friendly with out feeding them?
as well i would love some advice on what to do as we are moving home in two weeks. and i dont really want to move her cage?? any tips on how i could or what i should do
any advice would be great.
thanks Em
rod038

Re: First time breeder. please help answer my questions

Post by rod038 »

She will generally start sitting on the eggs once she has laid her second or third egg. It would be better if she wasnt in a busy location but it may still be ok. You will find once she starts sitting that she will be in the box more often.

First of all if its 10 days before you move by that time you can check to see if the eggs are fertile or not. Juts google how to candle an egg its pretty easy to do. If they arent then it wont be a problem moving as you can throw the eggs outand just move the pair and their cage.If they are fertile hopefully she goes back to sitting at your new house but she may not after being disturbed. You will have to put the pair in a travels cage and remove the eggs and put them in a container with cotton wool or something similar to keep them safe and hope they dont get cold during the move. You need to be gentle with the eggs.When you get to your new place set up the box in their cage retuen the eggs and then put the pair back in their cage and hopefully she may pick up where she left off but she may not. If she doesnt you should remove the eggs and throw them away and she will have to try again next year.

If the parents are quiet and tame then the chicks may not be as scared as if the parents were wild.