Crying atm :'(

Moderator: Mods

feewee

Crying atm :'(

Post by feewee »

Ok so this was to be 1st season for my IRN pair. Last saturday I was very excited to find 2 eggs in the nest box. On wednesday when check still 2 and again on friday 2. Today when cleaning cage had another little peak only to see 1 egg :( Now there is no egg at the bottom of the cage and def only 1 egg oon nest box. Has this every happened to anyone else or can anyone give me any idea as to what may have happened ???????????????????????????????

:'( I was in the know that being 1st time around I may not ended up with chicks, but for a egg to just vanish is a different thing.
feewee

Re: Crying atm :'(

Post by feewee »

Can they bury the eggs for more warmth?? DO they know the other one is not fertile. Sorry they may seem like very stupid questions but I guess im hanging on to every bit of hope I can :'(
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi feewee,

I'm no expert on breeding etc, but just from what I've read here on other peoples threads, it has been known that the hen (or cock?) might break open/eat the egg/s. This can happen for a number of reason's......she might sense that the egg is infertile, and there is nothing inside, or it might be that she's just inexperienced - this is her first clutch isn't it? The experienced breeders might be able to shed more light for you, but suffice to say, it's not an uncommon thing to happen I'm afraid :(
How is your hen behaving at the moment? Is she spending lots of time in the nest still? Or is she spending more time out of the box?

I'm sorry for your disappointment, I know I'd feel just the same :(
Regards Deb
feewee

Post by feewee »

Yes this is there first time around. Star has still been going into the box & Ringo my male is still feeding her as well.
Do u think it would be worth candling the remaining egg??? Im in victoria, would it be too late in season for them to lay more egg's, as from what I to have also read sometimes they can lay 2 batches of egg's.
I too am only new. Ive had my boy ringo for 5 yrs and Star for 3 hand raised them both. Only put them into a cage together mid last yr after last season for them to get used to being in same cage together and this wasnt a hassle at all & things have seemed to go well.
I guess I should just be grateful they have taken to each other and look forward to next season and tick this one down to experience :(

But if you thnk worth doing candling on remaining egg, can u please let me know

Cheers for your reply too. Thank you :D
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi feewee,

If you know how to candle the egg, for your own piece of mind, it can't hurt. I'm just not sure at what point you need to do this? You may have to wait for a certain number of days/weeks (?) before you will see anything? One of the breeders might be able to help you with that one.....or you could do a search for the info, either through this forum, or ask Dr Google :D

I'm not sure about whether you'll get a second clutch out of them this time of year. From what I can gather, most breeders here in WA have already had those pairs so inclined going down a second time already....but Victoria does tend to generally start warming up later than us, so you never know. Again, one of the Eastern States breeders might be more informed on that one for you.

Let me know how you get on :)
Regards Deb
Fleftoola

marc jacobs hobo

Post by Fleftoola »

cheap marc by marc jacobs handbags
Fleftoola

marc jacobs shoes

Post by Fleftoola »

marc jacobs sneakers
Fleftoola

marc marc jacobs