Hen wont start setting

Moderator: Mods

rod038

Hen wont start setting

Post by rod038 »

I have a Hen that has bred for the first time this season as a 2 year old and is paired with a 2 year old Cock bird. She has just laid 4 eggs each of them 3 days apart and hasnt started setting on them. She has only gone in the box to lay. I have never had a hen do this before. Any Ideas?
rod038

Re: Hen wont start setting

Post by rod038 »

Thanks Molossus for the reply. This is her first time that she has ever bred. Unfortunately I dont have any other hens with eggs that can foster for her and I dont know if they are fertile as she hasnt started to develop them as yet. I think I might just have to leave her and see what happens. Would removing the Cock bird change anything do you think?
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Rod, has there been drastic changes in the weather conditions in you region over the last couple of days? If not that, perhaps the hen suffered from some hormonal imbalance as a first timer. If you have an incubator, you could try to mould false eggs from clay or something similar (a tile cement or crack filler could work) and replace the real ones.

I don't think removing the cock would help much, but if you are desperate, give it a shot. Normally, one would find that a very good cock would get fed up with the hen and chase her into the nest. Perhaps the two aren't very well bonded.

Good luck! Hope it works out for you.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

I am having a similar problem with my blue pallid hen. If anyone/anything goes near the avairies she is off her eggs and checking things out. Her first clutch of 4 eggs ended up being infertile(from not sitting properly or not mating correctly I am not sure). I took them out at around 30 days so she would know not to abandon her eggs(1st lay for her). She has now laid 3 eggs but still seems to be unsettled. She has had the eggs for just over a week now.

Johan, I have never heard of or seen a cock chase his hen back into the box. That is rather amusing to me. I would love to witness it. My cocks tend to get bored and I have seen them sit outside the nest box, dancing and talking to the hens in the box- almost playing peek-a-boo.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Thanks for the replies.

She laid another egg this morning and seems to be spending more time in the box today but still comes out alot of the time. She has laid 5 eggs now over 11 days.

I havent got an incubator only a hospital cage and all my other hens have either got chicks or full clutches of eggs that will hatch in the next week.

The weather is always all over the place here where we can get several nice Spring days followed by a return to Winter and Frosts, but that doesnt seem to effect the other Hens.

She spends alot of time sitting next to the Cock bird on the perch.

I guess I will just have to see what happens.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

McmillanBirds wrote:Johan, I have never heard of or seen a cock chase his hen back into the box. That is rather amusing to me.
Come and visit me and I'll show you some. You might find it amusing, but I don't think the hens do... :lol: Usually the hens return before that, though. The cocks will sometimes bite at the feet of the hens also.

@Rod, 5 eggs over 11 days doesn't sound bad to me. Hopefully, they are all still viable.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I did a check this morning when I was feeding them and all her eggs were warm so maybe she was just a late starter. I will leave her to it now. Thanks again everyone for your help.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

rod038 wrote:I did a check this morning when I was feeding them and all her eggs were warm so maybe she was just a late starter. I will leave her to it now. Thanks again everyone for your help.
Great news! :D
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Carmen, I agree with Johan as I also have cock birds that chase their hens back into the nestbox, they peck at either the hen head or feet and make noise at them until they go back into the box, I have found my more mature cock birds do this, whereas some cocks birds do nothing, I also have 2 hens that come out the box when I go to feed and only go back once I'm finish, also they come out with every little noise, both these hens are 2010 hens so I hope they get less agitated over breeding season and get used to me being around, I try to feed, check nestboxes and take out pics at the same time so that I keep my visits to 1 a day to try and avoid disturbing them often

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
mtacu

Post by mtacu »

Hi all, we just got this pair of IRN earlier this year from a friend who didnt want them any more. They bred last year & I believe they are about 3-4yrs old??. About a month ago he started feeding & preening her. The cock bird looks to have been giving the hen a good seeing to but havent spotted them mating, she looks a little worse for wear with a couple of tail feathers loose. She also has become more friendly towards me when I am cleaning out cage or replacing feed etc, (she gives a little nip on the hand, previously she would just stay away). She does visit the nest box but no eggs as yet, any advice???
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Mtacu,

She'll lay eggs when ready, give it a few weeks.
Meanwhile try to spend less time with her as it is not the right time to domesticate her .
As long as your setup is fine, nestbox etc, they'll do thier thing without need of intervention.
As you can see from posts above, they all behave a little different.