First Eggs Of The Season

Moderator: Mods

Dan Cell

First Eggs Of The Season

Post by Dan Cell »

Hi guys I checked my breeding box today and I found two eggs.

The male is a Double Factor Violet Cobalt possibly split lacewing and the female is a Indigo Blue Lacewing, looks like I'll be breeding some great birds this season. Any idea guys what I might get?.

Cheers Dan Cell :lol:
Ring0Neck

Re: First Eggs Of The Season

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Dan,

Congrats, should have some nice birds coming out of that pair.
if male is not split lacewing then all offspring will not be visible lacewings
so 50% cobolt violet & 50% violets in both hens n cocks
all males will be split lacewing (pallid)

If cock is split then 50% will be lacewings, hens n cocks, the other cocks split lacewing
Last edited by Ring0Neck on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mallee_1

Post by mallee_1 »

Hi Dan,

You will definately get some very nice birds from that pair.

Intereseted in the cock bird DF VioletblueCobalt, what was the parents of this bird?

Did you find the Lavender cock bird you where chasing awhile ago?

Glenn
Dan Cell

Post by Dan Cell »

Hey Glenn how are you, the cocks parents are Violet Cobalt split lacewing (Father) & Violet Cobalt (Mother). I got this bird about 3 months ago, I also have another Violet Cobalt poss split lacewing cock and he is not paired to any bird at the moment. I just thought that maybe the DF Male will be a better choice for my Indigo Blue Lacewing Hen.

I could not find a Male Lavender so what I did was I got a Blue/Cinnamon Cock to a Lavender Hen in order the produce Lavender in Cocks & Hens.

For my spare male the Violet Cobalt poss split lacewing I'm thinking one of these Females
Blue Head & Tail, Double Factor Pastel Violet, Cobalt Lacewing or a Double Factor Violet Green.

What do you reckon guys?.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Any of those choices would be ok except for the Cleartail if the Cock turns out to be a split Lacewing as you would be mixing 2 similar looking mutations.
Dan Cell

Post by Dan Cell »

Oh okay thanks rod038 but I think I'm going to go with the Double Factor Pastel Violet Hen, because there will be chance that I will get DF Violets & also some Pastel Violets. But I have to say that the DF Pastel Violets they look amazing, also I have a good friend of mine who lives in New Zealand who is willing to sell his Violet Buttercup Hen to me for $1.600, what do you reckon a good buy or too expensive? or just get the DF Pastel Violet Hen for $500?.

Cheers Dan :P :?:
Dan Cell

Post by Dan Cell »

Hey guys just an update on my 2 eggs, both chicks hatched but unfortunately I found both of my chicks dead in the nest after a couple days. This is my hens first time breeding could this be the case or something else?. I have bred mature Ringnecks before and I have never had a problem before and I am very saddened.

So what do you guys reckon the problem could be any ideas would be great?.

Thankyou very much Dan Cell :(
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Dan

Sorry to hear about the loss, it is frustrating when that happends.
I personally don't think it's the hen. it happends to young birds but it was a common cry this year for many.
I can not say what it is but i suspect 2 things,1 there's nothing we can do about "Weather changes"

This year i have heard a lot of reports from breeders that in QLD Australia DIS (die in shell) & DAH (die after hatch) clear eggs, proven birds not going down, or not double clutching was a big problem for many breeders, and many report that it never happened to them before.
I can also say that i have had 3 DIS & 2 DAH this season (same nestboxes and birds i used without a glitch last year), compared to 1 in 4 years.

Second probelm can be your nestboxes, even if you used same boxes last year without a problem this year the combo of weather changes/humidity low or high? and nestbox (maybe other things) contributed to your loss.
As Willy S. suggested and he has done: Throw out the nestboxes and build from untreated pine. he said DIS & DAH stopped for him soon as he has done that.

Ben
Dan Cell

Post by Dan Cell »

Thankyou Ben

I just don't know what could cause the death of the chicks, I live in Melbourne Victoria and the weather here has been a bit cold recently maybe that could also play a part in chicks death. Lets just hope that she lays again and hopefully we don't experience the same problem again, I have another pair of Ringnecks on 3 eggs also at the moment, the Cock is Blue/Cinnamon and hen is Violet Cinnamon (Lavender), I hope those chicks don't die as well but yeah all we can do is just wait and see what happens. :?: :?

Cheers Dan
Dan Cell

Post by Dan Cell »

Sorry forgot to mention that I built the nest boxes out of untreated pine. :?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Dan, Stay positive :D , they will be ok.
As i mentioned b4, it happened to my ringnecks and green cheeks this year but overall birds bred ok.
Other pairs were not affected by this "phenomenon", cold/humidity levels can be a factor.
Sorry forgot to mention that I built the nest boxes out of untreated pine.

thanks for the update, hmm interesting.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

It can also be the case that we are venturing too far away from the wildtype and birds genes get weaker n weaker.
This theory is proven in other bird species as well. Q. is..Are we going too far?
If this is the true cause for DIS & DAH then we are only scratching the tip of the iceberg and this event will only increase.
I'm sure that many color bird breeders will want violet as the base color in the aviary, replacing blue,i guess this alone is a stepup leading to DIS & DAH if theory above is an affecting factor.

Ben
Dan Cell

Post by Dan Cell »

Yes I agree with Ben & Molossus, as Indian Ringneck breeders we have forgotten the purity of these birds. As more and more breeders breed coloured birds the purity of the Ringnecks is vanishing fast and the outcome of that is weaker & weaker birds are being bred constantly and that results in chicks dead in shell or chicks dead after hatching or even not incubating their eggs, but what can we do now to improve the genetics of our birds?. Do we pair our birds to the Original Green Ringnecks to strengthen our bloodlines or something similar, but we also face another problem now as well how do we know if the Green Ringnecks are pure these days because lets face it every bird is bred out of different mutations these days. All I can say is that if we continue like this we will struggle to breed birds in the future. :?:
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

I agree with what you guys are saying. We only have to look at our budgerigar and roseicollis friends to see where ringnecks are heading. I have heard of people that have bred two budgerigars with unknown history that have produced more than 15 colours to date...

However, we shouldn't be pointing fingers. I think everybody here is guilty of taking that weak chick that have struggled when hatching and nursed it back to health. Then we kept it for breeding because it was carrying the rarest mutation in the clutch, or sold it. That chick may very well be genetically inferior, and Mother Nature would have let that one pass on.
Dan Cell

Post by Dan Cell »

Hey guys just a quick update, my Blue/Cinnamon Cock & Violet Cinnamon Hen their 3 eggs have hatched and its been 3 days and the chicks are doing well so far.

I have friend who just got into Indian Ringnecks and he is breeding for the first time. The Cock is a Pastel Blue Pallid & the Hen is a Violet Cinnamon and they are currently on 4 eggs, what do reckon he will breed this year?. He does not know the history of the parents?.

Cheers Dan :P
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Dan,

1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue pallid
x 0.1 blue violet(sf) cinnamon

% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 blue /pallid cinnamon
25.0% 1.0 blue violet(sf) /pallid cinnamon
25.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue /pallid cinnamon
25.0% 1.0 turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) /pallid cinnamon
% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 blue pallid
25.0% 0.1 blue violet(sf) pallid
25.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue pallid
25.0% 0.1 turquoise(parblue)Blue violet(sf) pallid

All hens will be Pallids in colors: blue, pastel blue, violet, pastel violet
Males: same normal colors as above and all cockbirds are split pallid and Cinnamon