breeding behaviour

Moderator: Mods

Mishaley

breeding behaviour

Post by Mishaley »

My IRN pairs have been digging around in the nesting boxes all day for the last 2 weeks, and the males have been doing the 'dance' and feeding the hens while the they lift their tails, but that is as far as it goes, i havent seen any mating. how long do they work the nest boxes before they mate? there have been no eggs yet and hoping there wont be till they mate. this is there first time breeding. both pairs are 2yo. any info would be great =)
rod038

Re: breeding behaviour

Post by rod038 »

Just because you havent seen them doesnt mean they arent mating. Being both first time birds it always takes longer. It can take a month or more before they lay. I have had birds doing this for 6 weeks before they get eggs. It just depends. I have had 2 year old pairs raise 5 young but I have also had 2 year old pairs not raise anything. Sometimes it can take them a year or so to get things right.
leopard74

Post by leopard74 »

Hi,
I am new to this forum and living in South Australia. I have got a pair 2 years ago. At that time hen was almost 1-1.5 years old and male already had a black ring around his neck. they have not done anything since i had them but i noticed in past 3 weeks that both started to spending a lot of time inside a nesting box. it seems to me that they are not happy from each other because male never allow her to sit on his pearch and still the same. Hen is quite wild because never tamed. I have few questions for you helpers over there.

Q1. Is this right time for laying eggs according to South Australia's weather?
Q2. Just few minutes ago i have found one egg in the nest but there is little blood on half of it. Is this something to worry?
Q3. They laied egg overnight and now sitting outside the box. Is this means egg is not fertile?
Q4. Egg is on straw mulch. Do i need to provide something more comfortable and soft bedding?
Q5. There general food is normal small bird mixed seeds from pet store including sun flower seeds. they love to have dog buiscuits and raw veggies. What else should i provide them during this process?

Any other sugessions will be highly appreciated also.
Thanks for your help in advance.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

1) Yes
2) Not necessarily but keep your eye on the Hen.
3) No, The hen may not stay in the nest boxe till she has 2 or 3 eggs then she will rarely leave as she will start setting on them.
4) I wouldnt change the mulch at this point but once she has finished laying you could add some pine shavings or Euchy mulch.
5) Keep feeding what you are feeding and maybe some soft food like soaked seed once the eggs hatch. Also corn on the cob is good for them to feed their young with.