Breeding on the South African east coast

Moderator: Mods

McmillanBirds

Re: Breeding on the South African east coast

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Molossus

I am back from my 3 week holiday. My 1 IRN pair laid their first egg on the 9th July, 3 eggs in total. No other pairs have laid yet although 4 other pairs are mating, so their should be eggs soon. My other pairs are courting and feeding etc, but nothing further. My white-capped pionus pair, female is in the box but no eggs to date.

Regards
Carmen
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

No eggs with my lot as yet although a lot of dancing, feeding and mating taking place, will keep you updated.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Another pair of IRN started laying yesterday, 29 July. The other pairs eggs should be hatching at the end of this week sometime(have not candled them)providing they are fertile.
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Congrats Carmen, your birds seem to be going down earliar than mine, checked my boxes yesterday, still no eggs, will check again in a weeks time

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Checked my boxes today whilst changing water and found a new pair had laid 1 egg, so that's the start of the breeding season for me, very early I must say cos last year the pair I had only laid in september, but have not laid as yet.

Found that she chucked out most of the shavings and chewed the rest to sawdust, will leave her and not interfere as I'm sure she know what she is doing

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8954 ... 012073.jpg

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Awesome :D Which pair is it?
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Pair 6 - Green cock x Blue hen

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

I have my first 2 babies for the season :) will see if the other egg hatches over the next few days :)
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Congrats, if you take out pics send to me

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Going to see if I can get 1 this afetrnoon :)
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Molossus

Congrats on the alex babies :) I was clever this year, my uncle went to dbn a month or so ago so I asked him to pop in at the avi factory for me so I have 10kgs of handrearing food. I hope the foster parents do well too.

All 3 of the eggs have hatched. 2 of the babies that I can see have dark eyes, so definately blue. Will see at a later stage what the other babies eye colour is, and after a season or 2 whether the people I got the pair from had been telling the truth over their genetic history.

Lushen, here are some pics for you. The mom was not leaving her babies though, she is a very good mom.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

All the best to everyone this breeding season

Warm regards
Carmen
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Nice, is that grass I see as nesting material, thats a good alternaitve to shavings, how are your other pairs doing any eggs as yet, will check my nestboxes this weekend and update you guys

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

The nesting material I used in that box was almost like a straw/hay I found in the big pet shop in victoria road last year. I think they were using it for guinea pigs and rabbits. I went to get more this year as I found it really useful for birds who scratch out their nesting material but they didnt have any in stock. I then found something similar at the pet shop at the ok grocer centre in hayfields but it is nowhere near as effective. They scratch it out just like shavings.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Just the golden cherry male with lutino female that had started laying on sunday, not sure how many eggs they have yet. Will be checking boxes on sunday again of the ones I suspect of having eggs.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Lol, why thank you molossus :) I have never heard of microwaving it. What would be the process and reasons behind it? Killing bacteria? Creating moisture? Please excuse my ignorance. Hope your babies are well :)
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Went out to give the parents of the babies some soft foods(mashed banana, paw paw and grated apple) so they can feed the little ones and I noticed the hen of my golden oldie pair not anywhere in her aviary. Was her second day in the box and they are fairly old birds so I thought I would just check up to make sure she was ok. She has laid her first egg, although I do not put much hope in them hatching. The last 2 seasons she has laid but nothing comes of it. I will let her do her thing though and give her a month and not disturb her.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Well, have been out to feed all my birds this morning and I am sure with the new babies it has created 'spring fever' amongst my birds. There are 9 pairs either sitting or in the process of laying. That leaves 4 other pairs to start and 1 pair of pionus'. I am going to have my hands full with handrearing when/if they all hatch!!
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Is this topic exclusive to SA east coasters, or can us inlanders chirp in as well?
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Go for it Johan :)
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Well, I've heard of eggs in Kimberley and Klerksdorp as well. And my first pair went off this weekend past. I'm in Gangsta's Paradise (GP). :)
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

:lol:
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi East Coasters - I live on the northern part of the East coast (La Mercy) and my first breeding pair has laid 3 eggs so far. First egg was laid on 1 August, third egg today, 6 August. Molossus and Lushen have already been such a great help as I am a novice. Great touching base with fellow East Coasters and South Africans......

Kind Regards
Eshana
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi everyone

I need a little advice as I am worrying about my little babies. I think everyone on the east coast or inland knows about this bout of snow we are having, although in PMB it is just freezing cold and has been raining miserably for the last 2 days.
I don't want to uneccessarily worry the hen by checking in the box to see if the babies are ok and not freezing their little behinds off. My mom has said she has seen the hen going in and out, but staying mostly in.
Do you guys think the babies will be ok? or would you suggest I pull for handrearing now?
I know I may sound like a worried mom, but it is really cold here after a pretty warm spell.
Any advice would be appreciated

Carmen
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Molossus
The beautiful sin is shining today and all my little babies are doing fine :) I know in a couple days its going to get cold again with the snow melting but these 2 days were a good test to see if the mom will look after them. Hope all your babies are ok.
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Molossus

I'm thrilled that the two eggs I thought were infertile have now hatched...now I'm counting the days to when I start hand rearing them. You said it was best to remove them when they were 20 days old. There's a three day gap between them, so should I wait out the three days and then remove both together or should I take the first one out and the other 3 days later?
Would also like to know how often I should feed them and at what intervals. Been to my vet and she showed me how to feed a chick with a spoon (with a compressed spout). She said it was safer using a spoon rather than a dropper/syringe, especially for a novice. Would like your take on that as I believe you have more experience (than my vet)...lol....she said feed them 4 times a day at 4 hours apart. But would like your feedback...Sorry for being a pain!

Cheers
Eshana
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Thank you Molossus for your invaluable advice. Could you please give me an idea of a warm cosy box for the hand reared babies? :? I was thinking of using a shoe box with a towel at the bottom and cloud drift to keep them warm. Any suggestions? And what do you think is better...using a spoon rather than a medicine dropper to feed (for a first timer)? :? Thank you again...

Cheers
Eshana
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Molossus

Forgot to ask you where I can get rings for my babies and whether it would be better to use split rings....also when is the best time to put the rings on. Thanks again...
Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Molossus, I lost the Green/ino cock from Pair 5, found him today morning dead in the nestbox, he was lying next to his hen who was incubating her eggs. He was totally fine yesterday, not sure why he died, but I suspect the bad weather we had for the last few days had something to do with his death

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Molossus and Lushen

So sorry for your loss. It's just heartbreaking losing a bird. Molossus so sorry you lost so many of your babies. Are you having them tested? You mentioned a possible bacterial infection....could this be causd by the extreme wet conditions?
We're into the rainy season now and I'm so afraid that another wet spell could bring more disaster for our birds. Being a newbie, I just don't know what to expect with our different types of weather. Also afraid of the extreme heat in mid summer....
Take care guys....

Eshana
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi everyone

Molossus, I am so sorry to hear about your babies. The weather has been absolutely miserable. I hope you find the source of what was wrong.

Lushen, you told me of your loss this weekend, have the babies started hatching yet? Is the mother coping?

I lost my green hen, Georgie not this weekend but the last. She was the 1 that had the stroke. She had shown signs of laying again and I am not sure if the weather contributed to it but she had another "stroke" on the friday night. Saturday she was looking much worse but not in pain. On sunday when we went to give them food she was dead. I cleaned the avairy, sprayed it with vircon S, removed the old breeding box, put in a new 1 and moved my pallid hen over to be with the male as he kept looking for his mate.

All babies are doing well. Just taken the 5 out from the grey green cinn male and lutino female. There are still 16 babies out in the nests between 6 pairs. 3 pairs eggs were infertile. 1 pair of IRN and 1 pair white capped pionus due to hatch on the 19/09/2012. The blue pair who had 1 set of babies already have just started laying again.

Regards
Carmen
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Carmen only came back from durban last night at around 23h30, went to the backyard and heard the noise of chicks in Pair 1's nestbox, didn't hear anything from Pair 5's nestbox, but her eggs should have started to hatch, as her eggs were laid a few days before Pair 1's.

Will update you guys on my thread once I get home from work this afternoon

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
EmpopeAmilete

Post by EmpopeAmilete »

Went out to give the parents of the babies some soft foods(mashed banana, paw paw and grated apple) so they can feed the little ones and I noticed the hen of my golden oldie pair not anywhere in her aviary. Was her second day in the box and they are fairly old birds so I thought I would just check up to make sure she was ok. She has laid her first egg, although I do not put much hope in them hatching. The last 2 seasons she has laid but nothing comes of it. I will let her do her thing though and give her a month and not disturb her.

You talked funny . On no other word
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Molossus

Just wanted to let you know I am thoroughly enjoying hand- rearing (my conures). My ringies are only due to be removed next week...can't wait :lol: I am finding it pretty easy using a bent spoon to feed them and it is absolutely thrilling watching them change and grow so rapidly. Each bird has it's very own personality which is absolutely delightful. I have been using a scale to weigh them before a feed and then after, to ensure that I am feeding them adequately and not over feeding them. Now I know why you guys are hooked. :lol: Just have to learn what the different mutations and colour variations are. :roll: Still very confused, but hope to get there. :)

Kind Regards
Eshana
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Thanks Molossus

Need all the motivation (and help) I can get...

Cheers
Eshana
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Molossus

I have finally removed the first IRN baby from the nest and discovered that his little brother/sister was absolutely tiny (1/3 of his size). The babies crop was empty and it was literally skin and bones. I fed the baby but put it back into the nest hoping that the mother will go on feeding it and that it would do better since it was now the only chick in the box. The next morning I checked and found that it's crop was empty again, so I fed it and replaced it in the box. I kept on checking every hour to see if the mother was feeding it and discovered that she was not. I have now removed it permanently and am feeding it every two hours or when the crop is empty. It is very weak and so tiny but it has put on 2 grams. It's eyes were open 2 days ago but now it refuses to open its eyes and is very cold to the touch. I have it wrapped in a little blanket to keep warm. It is feeding, but tires very quickly whilst feeding, so it takes me 15+ minutes to feed it. I am terrified that it won't survive. Should I just go on doing what I'm doing or have you any other suggestions?

Kind Regards
Eshana
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Thank you Molossus for the advice. I am really worried about the little one. :cry: It is so weak but seems to have such a strong will to live. I have it next to my bed under a lamp. She cries when she's hungry, so I have a natural alarm when its feed time. The bigger sibling has been climbing over her and sitting on her, so I don't know whether it's safe to leave him in the box with her. Hope all goes well and she survives. It will be absolutely heartbreaking losing her.
Don't know why I think she's a girl :lol: .
Kind Regards
Eshana
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Eshana

I only saw your post now! how is your little one doing? hope he/she is ok

Carmen
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Carmen

She has survived another day and has put on two more grams (in weight). She is still hanging on..quite a fighter. It's amazing how tiny she is next to her brother/sister. :lol:

Cheers
Eshana
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Oh yay!!!! :D I am so glad.
Last year Tux and snowy laid 5 eggs. All 5 babies hatched. A week and a half after after what I had though was the last baby there was another baby in the nest. She must have laid again after all of her other eggs were well into the incubating process. Sadly, because it was so small it was squashed under the other babies. It was definitely a learning curb for me.
I am so happy your little one is ok though.
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Thanks Carmen

Have really enjoyed your update pics on all your babies. They are gorgeous!

Cheers
Eshana
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi all

I sadly lost my littlest IRN midday today. :cry: I was so sure she was going to make it, as she put on 5 grams over 3 days, but alas.... It's just so heartbreaking....

Eshana
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Thank you Molossus

In retrospect, I realised she was much smaller than her sibling whilst in the nest and I should have been watching more closely, making sure she was being properly fed by her mum. I checked on her only every 2nd or 3rd day, not wanting to disturb the mum who always became very agitated whenever I opened the nesting box. When I did notice, she was already emaciated and very weak. That is a lesson learnt. In future I will have to check on the chicks daily and ensure that they are all feeding well. It's so sad that I learnt this lesson the hard way.
Thank you Molossus and Carmen for your wonderful support.

Warm Regards
Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Eshana, sorry to hear about your loss, I only read this thread now, what sometimes happens in the nestbox is when chicks huddle together, the smallest one is underneath and the biggest chick covers the rest, come feeding time, its seems to alway be the biggest chick who gets his food first, and the smallest one last, at least this is what I have noticed in my nestboxes, will show you the difference in size of chicks in Pair 1 from the first to the fourth chick when I take them out on Sunday, there is a big difference in size and I think that this has to do with feeding(although you can expect some difference in size due to the difference in age). As Molossus has pointed out, some losses are unavoidable, so don't be dishearted, keep doing your best

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Thank you Lushen

Very difficult to deal with losing a chick. Even though I was feeding her for just three days...I really grew to adore her. My youngest son, aged 12, named her 'Tinkerbell' because she was so tiny. He is equally upset. :cry: I guess it is part and parcel of breeding birds....

Warm Regards
Eshana
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Eshana

We had spoken about your baby by e-mail but if you remb my pic in the photo forum of Buttercups and lemons, even here there is a major size difference, from oldest to youngest

have posted it here for easy access. The babies had spread out because it was rather warm so it is noticeable.

I am still very sorry for your loss :( , as molossus and lushen said, it teaches us where we can better ourselves and do things more efficiently next time around.

Carmen
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Thank you Carmen

Yes, there is a huge difference in size in your nest. My IRN mum just had two babies to take care of, but she chose to abandon the one, whilst continuing to feed the other. Your IRN had so many to take care of and has obviously been doing a great job. Yes, I have learnt from this and will be more vigilant in future.
In the meanwhile I am thoroughly enjoying hand rearing my one ringneck (3 1/2 weeks) and my conures (5 weeks). I just love them and have grown so attached to them that I've decided to keep them :lol: , much to my husband's consternation :wink: .

Kind Regards
Eshana
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

@Carmen, that is one decent hen to manage such a large variety in chick size. If you ever do decide you want to upgrade to rarer mutations, you should keep her as a foster.

@Madas, I've notice that these chicks have white stubble. I know you enjoy that particular topic. :D
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

@ Johan

As of this year i will officially have 4 hens that handle large clutches extremely well. Although the 1 hen feeds her babies brilliantly, she loses quite a bit of weight so ended up pulling her babies slightly earlier so she could eat for herself and not the babies again.

The four pairs that cope well are:
Grey green cinn(golden cherry) cock to lutino hen(above picture)
Grey(df) blue cock to albino hen
Blue/cinn pallid cock to albino hen
Blue/cinn cock to turq blue cinn hen(this is the hen that loses weight)

May I ask what it means as to the white stubble?

Thanks
Carmen
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Madas is doing some research into white stubble, particularly chicks showing it vs others that don't.
madas

Post by madas »

Hi Johan,

after seeing these pic and some others on Yahoo i am thinking they aren't an eraly sign of carrying opaline. :(

madas