breeding question

Moderator: Mods

jonringnecks

breeding question

Post by jonringnecks »

hello right i will tell you whats been hapening... i bought a female irn about 4 weeks ago and the man said that she was in a cage with other irn and the males were 'mating' with her so she will be ready breed soon.So I brought her home and put her in an aviary with one on my males and a nest box. They dont fight or really bother with one an other but the hen was always sitting in the nest box but the male has never went in. Today i check the nest box and found she had two eggs in there so i was wondering will the eggs be fertile??? if they are will she be able to rear them herself???? should i take the male out???? thanks :?
mikeb

Re: breeding question

Post by mikeb »

it will take 10 days of her sitting on them to tell if they are fertile or not, she can raise them by herself but as long as they are not fighting i would leave him in cause if she lays any more eggs they will need to breed for them to be fertile, but keep an eye on them to make sure they don't start cause if they do he may end up dead
jonringnecks

Post by jonringnecks »

Thanks I shall keep you updated
tuffey

Post by tuffey »

Hi Members

I am a real Parrot lover and I have been trying over the years to have a hybrid generation of different kind of parrots.
What I did in last few years, that I tried to mate an Alexandrian male with Indian Ringnecked female. Finally it was successful and I got few chicks.
Now, they are grown as well and ready to breed. When I tried to breed the male chicks (of hybrid breed) with their same hybrid females, it has been failed and is failing horribly. The reason is still unknown to me. Even though this hybrid females chick (the eldest is 4years old now) and are in proper heat.
Now, please kindly share your experience, that if there is a problem of sterilize as it exists in Mules or in my procedure of doing it, someone has successfully done this experiment before? But my procedure is working for all other hybrid experiments.
Now i am trying to have a reverse breed, just to check if it works or not. But it would be handy, if someone has this experience already.
Would love to receive feedbacks.

Tuffey
jonringnecks

Post by jonringnecks »

Hello are you mating brother and sister ???
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

jonringnecks wrote:Hello are you mating brother and sister ???
Yer thats what they are trying to do.
the only reason u would first hybrid a IRN with Alex is because there are no mutations in the area they live. For Alex's.
But unsure why they would bother to then mate the offspring to each other???

There are a few people that dont mind hybrid and inbreeding.
the main issue for this is its alot harder for Alex breeders like Molossus to convince people they have real mutations.

Each to there own i suppose.

Ta Glenn
PS hi all been a while.
tuffey

Post by tuffey »

Yes, i have been trying mating them
I am here to get the information about if there is anyone, who, in past, have an experience of hybrid mating (brother & sister - from Alexendrians & Indian Ring neck parents)
So, i don't see any wrong in mating them. But as in the case of mules, where there is a problem of Chromosomes (64/62) thats why they cant breed, i am wondering that if there is something like this, in the hybrid offsprings of Alex & IRNs
Plea
xengxue_yang

Post by xengxue_yang »

from experience in AG...inbreeding is possible but there can also be a really bad side effect. like alot of health problems. and really bad mutations. i suggest that if you want to do somthing like that get a different pair of birds and mate the two off springs. itll be hard but it will be from two different blood lines and less prone to bad side effects.