BREEDING: 1 Male(Green) with 2 female(Lutino & Apple Green)

Moderator: Mods

Ernest_sjn

BREEDING: 1 Male(Green) with 2 female(Lutino & Apple Green)

Post by Ernest_sjn »

I really am new to breeding IRN but hoping to breed this season because as the information given me by the sellers, the IRNs that i bought are ready for breeding. Male's age is 2.7(Pure green) while the females are 3(Apple Green) 1.7(Lutino)... Can the 2 female lay eggs with only 1 male? They just met each other 3 days ago but they seem to get along with each other as far as I can observe... What will be the chicks color from the both females having only one male... Can someone please help me... I barely know about IRN for about 3 weeks of research about mutations... I am from Philippines by the way...
McmillanBirds

Re: BREEDING: 1 Male(Green) with 2 female(Lutino & Apple Gre

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Ernest.
With both of those combinations the babies will be green unless your male is split to something. eg: split to lutino and with your lutino female you will get green and yellow babies. You would not know though until they have babies. However, I would not keep both females with him during breeding season as they will most likely end up fighting or if they do not end up fighting your male would end up drained from trying to keep 2 females happy and contented.
All the best :)
Carmen
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Ernest :)

you said:
I can't reply to the post i made so i did a respond through pm, so you mean it would be better if I would get the other female from the cage in order to let the male breed with the other?
Should i get the applegreen out of the cage or the lutino?
best regards, Ernest from Philippines...

I posted your message here so that if anyone else feels like they can respond, they can.

Here are your options.
1.0 = male
0.1= female

1.0 green
x 0.1 green
% from all 1.0
100.0% 1.0 green
% from all 0.1
100.0% 0.1 green Meaning all your babies will be green

OR

1.0 green
x 0.1 ino
% from all 1.0
100.0% 1.0 green /ino
% from all 0.1
100.0% 0.1 green Meaning all your babies will be green, the males will be split for yellow although you will not see it

If you are lucky and your green birds are split to blue the results will be as follows:

1.0 green /blue
x 0.1 green /blue
% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 green
50.0% 1.0 green /blue
25.0% 1.0 blue
% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 green
50.0% 0.1 green /blue
25.0% 0.1 blue Meaning you can get green and blue babies

Breeding either the Lutino female or the applegreen female to your green male will be trial to see what colours come out. You could try one for this year and another for next year.
Personally I would not leave both females with him during breeding season, but during the rest of the year it should be fine. See which one he takes a liking to more and leave her with him for this year. I am not too sure when breeding season starts for you there but in South Africa it is generally between september-december.

All the best
Carmen
Ernest_sjn

Post by Ernest_sjn »

Good day ma'am. The person I bought my IRNs from said that I can put the 3 in one cage. He mentioned about "colony" method, something like that and that the male can breed with the two females at a particular breeding season at the same time. Will something like that be possible? Thanks ma'am, I will remember about the mutation that you mentioned.

Regards, Ernest from Philippines.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Ernest

It is possible with some birds but be very careful with any signs of agression as you may walk out one morning to a seriously injured bird or worst case scenario a dead bird.
I have all my breeding pairs in separate avairies. I had 8 ringnecks who were not yet mature in a large avairy and through characteristics it looked like I had 3 males and 5 females. 2 of the lutino females ended up fighting over a male while I was at work, luckily my mom was there and went outside. The 2 females were rolling on the floor having a good go at each other, my mom caught the 1 and took it out of the avairy. When I went home and had a look the 1 taken out had a sore by its beak and had blood streaks in its feathers.
I am not saying you will be unsuccessful with the colony avairy, with those 3 birds it may work, I am just saying watch them carefully, they can become agressive during breeding season.

Regards
Carmen
Ernest_sjn

Post by Ernest_sjn »

I have put aside my 1 female away from the the other so that they could already focus on having a try because its been breeding season already since January until late of may... Thanks for the advices...
Best regards, Ernest from Philippines...