Female laying eggs but wants to eat males!

Moderator: Mods

CarolB

Female laying eggs but wants to eat males!

Post by CarolB »

Ok I have 4 pairs of IRN'S 2 I just purchased the other 2 pair I bought at all different times. I have a yellow female I tried to pair up with my green male all she did was attack destroyed his poor tail so I took him out. I then went and got a male yellow and put him in with her she has never laid eggs but the 2nd day of him being in the cage with her she lays an egg! Checked the egg it was no good which I suspected. Took the egg out and she lays 3 more! I'm so sure they aren't fertile as like I said I watch her chase the male around like she wants to attack him :? So what do I do? I'm stumped and don't
Know if I should try a 3rd male!

Does anyone have any suggestions I'm getting so frustrated with her :|
Thank You
mikeb

Re: Female laying eggs but wants to eat males!

Post by mikeb »

introduce the female to the male in his cage without a nest box add nest box after you see they have bonded also if your candling the eggs they have to have been sat on for at least 10 days before you can tell if they are fertile
Molossus2

Re: Female laying eggs but wants to eat males!

Post by Molossus2 »

You need to also be more vigilant in your observations. Some hens are male killers and it is important you ensure the safety of your birds. In any case if she continues to chase the cock there is little to no chance of eggfertilisation. If she stops and
Settles down you may get lucky.