Too young to breed?

Moderator: Mods

angeldc77

Too young to breed?

Post by angeldc77 »

I have a 2 year old turquoise pallid female paired off with a green/blue cleartail male that is one year old. Just in the last couple of weeks he has started to do his Stevie Wonder courtship dance, and has become very persistent. I think his magic dance is starting to work because he keeps getting closer and closer to her without any aggression from her. Should I put a box up to see if we get lucky???
rod038

Re: Too young to breed?

Post by rod038 »

If it is the start of breeding season where you are then you could put a box in and see what happens although the Cock bird may be too young still. I have had 1 year old cocks breed before though. Pallid to Cleartail is not really a good mix as they are similar mutations. The good thing about the Cleartail mutation is the colour stays bright but the pallid lightens the colour. The young cocks will be split cleartail and pallid.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

I just put up the box, as I seen the hen assume the position and let the male kiss/feed her as her eyes pinned while she chirped. They both seemed very interested in the box on day one, and on day two (today) I found her checking out the inside :) I have not seen them mating but I have a good feeling that they will be able to do something over the next few weeks. Even though he is younger than her he is a dominant male, he is quite a bit bigger than her and I think he knows it. I wil keep you updated.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

I put the box up three days ago, and both showed great interest in it on the first day, checking out the entrance. On the second day I found the female inside the box. Today is the third day and I found the male feeding the female at the entance to the nest box while she was inside. Later while outside she assumed the postition and the male almost climbed on top of her, he seems to be a little nervous. He does walk right up to her while she is in position and gently places his beak on top of her head as he elongates his body with his wings held open in a heart shape. I think it is good progress considering I just put the box up a three days ago. Hopefully he will figure out what to do next in a few more days. I wll keep you guys posted and keep my fingers crossed.
noeo

Post by noeo »

Hope you are successful. I also have young IRNs. Not sure if I have a pair. I have a 1 1/2 year old green IRN who I think is a male. His ring is getting darker. My other one is a 1 year old lutino and hope it is a female. Base on your situation and if I have a pair, they should be ready to breed next year (2013).

good luck and keep us posted
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Well the box has been up for about a month now. the female has been spending about 3/4 of the day in there, but has not laid an egg yet. Today was the first time that the male went into the box with the female. I hope this means that they have mated when I was not looking :-) What do you guys think the chances of them having mated are?
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

How long does it usually take for the hen to lay eggs after the nestbox goes up?
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

There is no set time. Some go down early while others don't. Keep records for reference purposes and ask neighbor breeders of their own times and record these also. This will aid in the testing of fertility at one week of incubation and time hatch date of fertile eggs in case help is needed.
It is likely that the cock isn't covering the hen due to his immaturity but time will tell. :mrgreen:
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

It has been about six weeks since I put the box up and not much has changed over the last two weeks. The hen still spends most of her time in the box, only coming out to eat, drink, take a bath, flirt with the male or sometimes nip at him. I do see the male inside the box from time to time on a more regular basis, but he is usually perched up high just outside the box chirping away and doing his little mating dance ritual whenever he is not eating. Still no eggs yet, she is just over two years old, do you guys think she will lay?? Am I just being impatient??
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

It has been two months since I put the box up and still no eggs yet. The female is still spending most of her time in the box and the male is in there with her about half of the time. I just do not know if she will lay any eggs. Does anyone know what month ringnecks stop laying eggs in Florida?
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

You'd be very lucky with a one year old male, esp. also with an inexperienced hen. If I were in your position, I'd lower my expectations from this pair for this season and simply enjoy them and their rituals. :) Next year should be magic.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

After 2 1/2 months of courtship from the time that I put up the box my hen finally laid her first egg!!! Question now is if my young male was able to fertilize. I will keep you all posted :)
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Looks like all that my hen laid were two eggs on her very first clutch. She is sitting tight and is very protective of them. It will be a week tomorrow since she laid the first, when should I candle the eggs to see if they are fertile?
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Never mind I just reread Molusus post. I will check them on Friday since that is the one week mark for the second
egg.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Molossus did not mean to misspell your name.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Eggs were clear :-( just pulled them. I think I will set my turquoise pallid with a proven creamino that my father has for next season. Perhaps pair my green Cleartail/blue with a violet hen if I could find one at a reasonable price
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

It's been 3 Weeks since I pulled the clear eggs and I was just getting ready to pull the nestbox since summer is almost here in south Florida. Good thing I checked inside before I took action because she laid the 1st egg of her 2nd clutch today :-) . I know that there still is a good chance that the eggs still will not be fertile since my male is only 15 months old, but this time he seemed more assertive and actually going into the nest box 1st and calling for the hen to come join him inside. The last time she went in there 1st and he was very apprehensive about going in at times. It seems like he feels as if he has some ownership of what us taking place this time, so hopefully she will lay more than 2 eggs and hopefully at least one of them will be fertile. What do you guys think?
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Eggs on 5 June? Wow, that is indeed late considering the solstice is only two and a half weeks away. A month after that and the southern hemisphere's breeding season gradually kicks in. I still think you shouldn't get your hopes up too much, but we can say with certainty that chances are better this time around with the cock being a bit older (perhaps his hormones have kicked in) and more experienced/assertive.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

When do your birds normally come into moult?
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

All of my dads ringnecks have already started molting. My pair is kept out in the patio facing west and are in the shade so they are not as aware of the seasonal change as my Dad's pairs, which are set up in large flights in an open field. I don't know if that makes a difference or not with their internal clocks but my birds look great as far as feathering is concerned. I just posted a picture of them a couple of days ago in the genetics page under ”dark green or normal Cleartail” if you want to see how they look. I can't tell you how surprised I was to see ths she started to lay again, like I said I was just getting ready to take down the box because it was so late in the season.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

If they delay the molt then you could be lucky.
We hold thumbs for you.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Well she only laid one egg this time which isn't what I expected but I know that there are times where a a hen will lay 5 eggs the first time and 4 the 2nd time. She is sitting nice and tight but then again she also did the first time. I guess it all depends on my young male and if he he was ever able to seal the deal :-\ . Either way they are both young and I believe it's all just a step in the right direction heading into the next breeding season. I will check the egg next Friday which will be day number 10. I will keep you guys updated, thanks for keeping interest :-)
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Well the egg was clear and the molting process is in full gear. I pulled the nestbox and will look forward to next breeding season.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

You got it :)
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Geez Molussus, YOU need help? What about me? My flock is at least 15 years behind yours. :lol:
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

molossus wrote:The greatest journey begin with a single step,Johan san. Ah but if I had your youth...
Touche! Good response. :D
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

molossus wrote:Johan,
How's breeding setup going n when r u coming down?
I've done all I can in terms of the breeding setup. Now nature has to take it's course, and hopefully I'm lucky with some breeding outcomes. When am I coming down? Isn't the more prudent question, when will you come visit me? :lol:

PS: I heard the sardines have arrived on your coast. Oh, how I wish I could visit you! :(
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Well guys, moved from Forida to Kentucky over the summer and have my birds set up indoors. I set up the nest box a couple months ago and the hen has been working the box for the last few weeks. Today I noticed that the male was in the box with her. I'm sooo excited :D
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hey Guys,

Its been a wonderful thread to go through and very informative. I think you will have better chances this time Angel. My best wishes to you.

Subodh
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

angeldc77 wrote:Well guys, moved from Forida to Kentucky over the summer and have my birds set up indoors. I set up the nest box a couple months ago and the hen has been working the box for the last few weeks. Today I noticed that the male was in the box with her. I'm sooo excited :D
Holding thumbs! :D
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Two days ago I opened the nest box up to add some more shavings as it seems that the more I put in the more they dig out. When I looked inside i noticed a few feathers in there. At first I was thinking that the hen was pulling them for nesting material. Today I noticed that my hen's feathers were a little rough looking, I thought to myself "could she be molting?" Then I took another look and noticed that the feathers that were roughed up were just on her back by her wings. Then I noticed that she also had a new small spot on the back of her head. I'm thinking that this might be a positive sign, indicating that the male is climbing on top of her and is in fact mating with her. What do you guys think? I'm pretty excited about it, this is something that I did not notice last year when my male was just one year old. Now he is 2 years old and fully rung out, and my hen is 3years old.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Angel,

It is looking like the real thing this time. I wish you luck.

Subodh
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Well its been a full month since I've noticed evidence of breeding, but no eggs as of yesterday. I thought I was going to find some yesterday because the hen did not come out of the box all weekend. When she came out to eat and take a bath I looked but nothing yet.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I read through this whole thread and it was such a wonderful story to follow. I'm sitting on pins and needles here waiting to see if she lays eggs this season :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Hello guys, hope all is well and just wanted to give a quick updated on this 15 month tling thread/journal. We had a very cold and long winter, which I think slowed the whole breeding thing down a bit. It did finally warm up and I moved the birds out to the patio where they can get fresh air and more sunshine. No eggs yet, but then again it was May when she first laid last year, so I guess she us running on the same calander.

On a different note I just got a second pair of ringnecks. I got a viet male with a blue dominant pied female. They are both just over a year old. The lady had to move in a rush and I got the pair for $450 !! Jackpot! I did promise her ababy from the first clutch, which I will honor. Would you guys rearrange the pairs next year?

I have the following:

Green cleartail split to blue
Turquoise pallid hen
Violet mal
Dominant pied blue hen

What would you guys do with this start of a collection? What should I buy next?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I have the following:

Green cleartail split to blue
Turquoise pallid hen
Violet mal
Dominant pied blue hen
I assume the green cleartail is a male!?

Firstly you will need to think what would you like to breed? or in financial terms: what has more value or sought after?
It all depends what you're trying to achieve.
This is how i would pair them up based on what i would like to achieve:
Green cleartail split to blue X Dominant pied blue hen - I would keep the young pied/cleartail hens to pair to a cleartail to breed Pied Cleartails (2 to 3 year project).
I would get a Pallid or split Pallid (or INO if you want to breed pallidinos) male for the turq. pallid hen.
Violet - anything but grey,
can use a : blue, cobalt, violet, turquoise anything you'd like to breed.

Hope it helps
83IV
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

I have a friend who has some new baby pallidinos from and albino male that I sold him last year, which he paired to a turquoise pallid hen he had. I am planning on trading him one of my babies for one of his. I was thinking of just holding back to of the babies a male and a female to perhaps pair to a visual cleartail when I can afford one. I would love to find a cobalt, but they seem hard to locate here in the states. I like tour idea of a pied cleartail. Would there be pied markings in the head or will the blocked melanin in the head from the cleartail mutation keep it all clear with only pied markings on the body?
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Thanks Ringo :)
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Looked in the box today and found two eggs! :D
Almost a year since she first laid last year, 362 days to be exact.
bennjamin

Post by bennjamin »

where are you angeldc77 ?
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

I'm in Kentucky. The cold weather just left us, although it is supposed to drop into the 40s again Thursday night.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Looks like my hen only laid two eggs as she did with her first clutch last year. Does this mean that she is going to average two eggs per clutch, or will she lay more next year when she is 4?
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

I guess I need to relax a little, she laid a third egg last night :mrgreen:
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

They sometimes skip a day or stop laying altogether if another cold spell hits.
angeldc77

Post by angeldc77 »

Good to know. Its supposed to drop to the mid 40s at night with the high in the upper 50s for the next two days, then back up to the upper 70s by Sunday. Do you think the eggs will be fine as long as she sits tight? I draped a heavy quilt over the outside of the nestbox.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

This is so exciting!!! Will you candle the eggs?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D