Handfeeding Questions

Moderator: Mods

CharlieCheekyTaj

Handfeeding Questions

Post by CharlieCheekyTaj »

Hello,

I have some questions on hand feeding, I am soon going to breed Indian Ringnecks and my first question is will it be alright for me to take them out of their nesting box at 3 weeks of age and hand rear them? If I do How many times a day do I feed them and at what temprature? Also what are you feeding your chicks, I once used Passwell Hand Rearing food and that seemed to work well but I was just wondering if anyone had good brands that are still affordable? When I am not feeding or playing with them what should I put them in? And do they need a heat pack under them? What are some things I can put in the parents aviary to make them a bit more healthy and easier to breed like cuttlefish, fruit, egg shells\yolk is that all good and anything else?

Thankyou for your time :D
dholari

Re: Handfeeding Questions

Post by dholari »

hi,
i am not an expert but still went thru the stage you are going to go thru, you can hand feed them (with clean hands) try breaking chana daal into pieces after soaking them for 2-4 hrs , they will eat from your hands , go on that diet exclusively for 3-4 weeks , you can add up small bits of egg, banana, some bean seeds (cooked) etc .. you will love the experience ..if you can get some raagi powder make it like a syrupy liquid and feed thru a bottle slowly - remember to read more info on which side of the beak to feed from (birds left to right) our right to left - so that you dont choke and accidentally kill them .i just used a study lamp and kept them in cardboard carton to make them feels cozy
happy feeding
CharlieCheekyTaj

Re: Handfeeding Questions

Post by CharlieCheekyTaj »

Thank you for your reply, any more information from bird breeders would be great!