Nine Eggs

Moderator: Mods

JimHcctx

Nine Eggs

Post by JimHcctx »

I have a pair of ringnecks that have been together for three years. Last year she laid 5 eggs, but only one was fertile. Now she has laid nine eggs in one clutch and one appeared to have some growth, but the other eight were completely clear. I also noted, that she managed to remove most of the nesting material allowing the eggs to scatter in a wider pattern then they should, but dont think that is the entire reason behind the infertility. My plans are to trim away the feathers from both birds around the vent, but looking for other thoughts.

thanks
Jim
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
rod038

Re: Nine Eggs

Post by rod038 »

Are the perches in the cage solid for them to mate on?
If the eggs are sliding around the base of the nest box then she may not be keeping them warm enough to develop.
If my hens remove the nest material I wait till they have start laying lift the eggs out and fill it again making am indentation for the eggs. 9 eggs is well above average which is around 4 or 5.
JimHcctx

Re: Nine Eggs

Post by JimHcctx »

Yes, the nine are highly unusual. Last year I had two pair who laid seven eggs each and I was estatic, unlike this pair who only get seed, pellet, and the ocasional veggies, to get those two pair to lay, I was feeding them everything super healthy. So I am at a loss for the high yeild.

I will try adding the material, think that will resolve it. Thanks!
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!