Information for First Time Breeder

Moderator: Mods

CharlieCheekyTaj

Information for First Time Breeder

Post by CharlieCheekyTaj »

Hi everyone :D

I have some questions about breeding Indian Ring necks. I have bought a 3 1\2 month old blue IRN called Taj that I will DNA test hopefully to become a male :wink: . He was hand fed but not hand reared so he will sit on my shoulder but bites me and draws blood, I don't mind about this though I will just persevere as I think he is just scared and "hopefully" it will improve till at least he isn't scared of me. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could gain his trust? The hen I want to get is free and she is 3 1\2 months as well, and she has champion bloodlines. I have not met her but the man who owns her says she is very friendly, pretty and smart. I know I cant breed them for at least 1 1\2 years to come but I have not bred before and I am just getting information. I will have a large aviary put in the backyard but does there have to be a breeding aviary and normal aviary or can I have one large aviary that has a door separating it into two when I want? Also I have a 5 year old female Weiro that is very shy and timid, what would happen if I bred the IRN's? Would they injure her when breeding? Should I separate them during breeding season? I don't and won't want to be a breeder that has a lot of birds breeding just one or two pairs that have one or two clutches a year, I love my birds and just want to have fun with them! Then if they do have chicks and I want to hand feed\raise them what age should I take them out of the nesting box? And sorry I know I have asked many questions so far I just have two more :D What do I put at the base of the nesting box? And lastly, what fruits, veggies, etc. can i put in the cage for health and calcium etc.
I am so sorry for having so many questions, if someone can answer all of them that would be great but if not if a few people answered a couple that would be awesome as well :wink: Again sorry for so many and such a long story :)
jillybean

Re: Information for First Time Breeder

Post by jillybean »

Hi there, I have 4 pairs of IRNs 2 pair are breeding age the other 2 are only last seasons babys so realy dont know if boys or girls yet. I have just successfully breed my yellow pair they had two beautiful babies and I let the parents feed them. I gave them yoghurt for extra calcium which they really loved. I have them all in a large avairy but when breeding was advised to separate them, a friend of mine didnt and the breading pair killed one of her birds so I strongly advise taking the two birds out that you want to breed. I also have cockatiels in the avairy and my ringnecks never bother them I think as long as there is plenty of room they all get on fine. I got Kaytees nesting stuff looks like wood shavings fantastic stuff really keeps nest nice and doesnt smell changed it about once a week. I give my birds every vege or fruit I see at the supermarket, they just love strawberries and corn on the cob I just nail it to a bit of tree in the cage and they eat the whole thing. Hope this helps a bit hope you have as much fun with your birds as I have with mine
CharlieCheekyTaj

Re: Information for First Time Breeder

Post by CharlieCheekyTaj »

Thankyou so much for your reply it has helped me alot! Good luck with your chicks and birds!