4 1/2 week old feeding troubles

Moderator: Mods

Stacey

4 1/2 week old feeding troubles

Post by Stacey »

Hi
I am handraising a ringneck which was pulled from the nest 1 week ago, is now 4 and a half weeks old. It is not begging or feeding properly, and we are having to force feed with the syringe, which isn't much fun for us or the bird.
Although I am new to this I have nearly full time help from an experienced hand raiser, however she isn't sure what's wrong and why it won't feed. Temp and everything is OK, we are using Kaytees with a little bit of apple puree. Some people have suggested it just takes some a bit of time to get used to it, however my helper says it is very unusual for them not to beg with no feeding response. It seems to be growing and feathering fine. Was meant to be handraising with its sibling but it died in the nest (Was apparently very small compared to this surviving chick).
If anyone has any suggestions or ideas it would be great as I don't want to have to force feed until it is weaned.
Thanks
julie

Re: 4 1/2 week old feeding troubles

Post by julie »

Is the bub being kept in a warm place? Try putting your finger and thumb at each side of the beak coming from above to simulate the mum feeding,just rub the beak while moving your finger on and off the beak.
Stacey

Post by Stacey »

Thanks for your reply :) Yes, I have it in a bird box with a heat pad, being careful he doesn't get too hot etc, have been touching beak, which is enough to help force feed but I'm just worried about why he doesn't seem interested in feeding at all. There has been a small amount of improvement the past couple days, but only very small. The odd hint of a response every now and then. Hopefully it keeps improving. Other than this he seems happy enough. Very inquisitive and snuggly, which I didn't expect at this age.
Stacey

Post by Stacey »

Yay, it is finally feeding properly :) What a relief.