breeding

Moderator: Mods

trudie

breeding

Post by trudie »

can you tell me if i can take chicks awat from there mother without having to use a brooder if so at what age also how often do they have to be fed thankyou for all the help this site has given me.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

If you want to pull the chicks, so you don’t have to use a brooder, remove them from their mother at about 22 days old. This is a perfect stage, the pin feathers are coming in at this stage and the babies can maintain warmth through snuggling. Just make sure you really socialize them by holding them daily and talking to them.

I have gotten word of a method that is becoming pretty popular. Some parrot breeders are not removing the babies for hand feeding, but rather removing the chicks daily for socialization. This method gives the baby the stability of having a mother and the round the clock feedings. I am going to try this method and soon report the findings. I know many lovebird breeders are resorting to this method. Allowing the mother to feed the babies assures them they will not miss feedings and can leave the house longer than 3 hours. So it might have many positive perks.

Also, if you do resort to hand feeing, feed the babies every three hours for times a day. Each feeding should be about 18CC of Kaytee Exact. Start the schedule at 6 in the morning. Hope this helps.

Let me know if your baby IRNs hatched yet. I bet you must be excited! :D

Best Wishes

I.C.
trudie

breeding

Post by trudie »

can u use egg food because im in england and cant find that kaytees
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Don’t use egg food for them. I think they are finding that too much protein is very unhealthy for Asiatic parrots. They need a seed based diet supplemented with fresh fruits and vegetables. I guess, if you can’t find food, an other alternative would be to just hold the babies daily while the mother cares for them.

I am told that this method really works. You should try it. Hold the babies daily, about three times a day, for fifteen minutes. Just watch out for your finger. :shock: The mother Ringneck will get used to your hands in and out of the nesting box, mine have adjusted well.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes

I.C.