What is best to pair with an Olive?

Moderator: Mods

LadyCalypso

What is best to pair with an Olive?

Post by LadyCalypso »

Hi I just picked up this guy today and wondered what mate would give me some beautiful birds any suggestions? I know it is all opinions but would like to hear what people think :P

rod038

Re: What is best to pair with an Olive?

Post by rod038 »

If it is split blue then a Blue paired to it would give you Grey, Blue, Grey Green and Green.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Is this a pure bred alexandrine? And is it a double factor dark green or violet green?
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

I was under the impression that it was a indian ringneck however he is a bit larger and a little different than my normal IRN's that is why I am posting picks for a little help because I can't find any IRN's that look like him?
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

okay so I think he is a hybrid if so should I pair him to an Alexandria hen? I am not really sure about the hybrid thing here is the website I went to to find the hybrid and it looks like him. but where to go from here I don't know as I was under the impresion that he was an indian ringneck :(
His band # reads 1 04 PTM
http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/ ... zation.htm
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I wouldnt breed him.

The only reason to do this would be to introduce a new mutation. If this is the direction you wanted to go then you use the best quality Alexandrines you can find and continue to out cross till you have a bird in the new mutation that has all the other features of an Alexandrine. This can take about 15 to 20 years starting from scratch.

If you arent worried about that its best to stick with pure birds otherwise you end up with all these birds that are probably only suitable for the pet market.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

I wouldnt either. There are pure bred dark factor alexandrines you can use to breed with. Hybridization is not good for the preservation of species.