leave the nest

Moderator: Mods

luvalutino

leave the nest

Post by luvalutino »

Hi guys,
my two babies are almost two months they look fully feathered( one looks a cinnamon green and the other silver) just like mum and dad , they havent left the nest yet and one has developed splayed legs- how long does it normally take before
they venture out and the chick with splayed legs will they come good once it needs to perch or do i need to do something about it.
cheers
luvalutino

Re: leave the nest

Post by luvalutino »

both left the nest today..gorgeous....this morning the silver , this afternoon the green younger one.......both on the bottom of the cage........poor things they keep on hitting themselves on the side of the cage trying to fly up to a perch.....
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I have heard of other people tying bands lightly around the splayed legs & that corrects it. I think it was an elastic hair band but I'm not quite sure what they did, so please don't take my word for it. Check with your vet or look it up somewhere else. I only remember it because I was quite surprised that his was effective!

Good luck win your chicks!

Ellie.
matttposer

Post by matttposer »

I've seen pictures/videos where people have used hair ties to correct the legs, but it has to be really soft, I've also heard of people using sponges to correct the legs but im not sure how?
luvalutino

Post by luvalutino »

thanks guys.....i think mother nature is working....cause the more they stay out of the nest the less splayed they look..
thanks for your comments
luvalutino

Post by luvalutino »

I was wrong nature isnt doing its job....one leg on both chicks still looks "splayed"...I will have to try
the rubber band trick
smick

Post by smick »

G'day there are different opinions as to the cause of splayed legs but i think often its either from the bottom of the nest box being too smooth or from the hen sitting on the young for to long when at a age that she should have spent more time out of the box. I would check the bottom of the box first because i've seen it many times on young budgies when in those melamine shop bought boxs that are super smooth inside and they young can't grip the floor to stand up.
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

are you sure they're splayed and youre not just being an overly-worried parent? (only offering this suggestion as this is what happened to me :lol: ). from all the reading i did, the young just may be getting used to using their legs, and may not be splayed. to may it easier for them to stand, you can put a towel on the bottom of the cage if this is where they are spending alot of time.

hope everything is well with them!
luvalutino

Post by luvalutino »

hi
I thought they were getting better, as one of their legs straightened but the other didnt, so I took the chicks to
a person that knows a lot about birds , they said that unfortunately it looks like their mother must have broken the chicks legs whilst inside the box.....they reset in the wrong place...so they both have one leg that loks like they are permanently waving at you and the other leg that is ok....it was the hens first set of chicks, the bottom of the nest wasnt smooth and there was plenty of nesting material.......perhaps the mother was sitting too tight on her chicks.