What should I do

Moderator: Mods

mjmaryann

What should I do

Post by mjmaryann »

Hi. My bird had two eggs, a few days later i found half of the shell of one of the eggs in the cage, but no baby bird though. Now its over a month and she's still laying on the other one, but looks like she stepped on it or something because it has a big dent and is cracked so i'm not sure if i should take it out or leave it in? :?
Molossus2

Re: What should I do

Post by Molossus2 »

The egg at 30 days and not yet hatched means it is infertile. Remove and dispose of it immediately. In future monitor eggs from start of laying. The hen will lay every 2nd day. When this stops then allow her to sit tight for 10 days and then test for fertility by holding it against strong light. If it appears clear and you see the yolk then its infertile. If you see a network of blood vessels...hallelujah. :mrgreen:
mjmaryann

Post by mjmaryann »

Thanx Molossus2 :)
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

im sure you've tested by now, and by the sounds of things. she lay duds. if thats the case, remove them, and hopefully its not too late in the breeding season they will try again with a 2nd clutch. but only once the eggs are removed. make sure your hen has some form of calcium in her diet as she will need it after producing all those eggs!