Lutino ring

Moderator: Mods

Jodie

Lutino ring

Post by Jodie »

I have a lutino that I purchased for a seller who claims that he is 4 1/2 years old. When I got him, he did not have a ring. I have DNA papers indicating that it is a male but is dated 7/04. The seller swears he is proven and is 4 1/2. Has anyone heard of a lutino not ringing? Does anyone know when lutinos ring? Thank you so much for your help!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

It could be true; however, it was probably a mistake on his part or a lie. Ringnecks will usually ring at about two years of age, sometimes three. Never heard of one ringing so late though…hmmmmmmmmmmmmm you decide :wink:

Best wishes, :wink:

I.C.
Jodie

lutino ring

Post by Jodie »

Do you know what the ring on lutinos look like when they first start to appear? Right now he looks like there is red blush on his cheeks. I have read they can start as early as a year and ring out at 18 months. But when is he considered mature, when he gets his ring or at three like I have read? Thanks for your help!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

You should start to see peach or pink feathers highlighted by white feathers that appear around the neck; however, that does not mean the male is mature.

Some male Ringnecks are able to produce offspring before they have ringed. So it can vary from parrot to parrot. I will say that usually the ring is a great way to be 99% sure your male is sexually mature.

Hope this helps! :wink:

I.C.
Jodie

lutino ring

Post by Jodie »

Thank you for your advice. He is starting to get the blush effect on his face now. I do have him paired with a two year old lutino female. The seller said he was 4 1/2 and proven which was definately a lie. I really do not appreciate being lied to! I do not anticipate a clutch from them, but there are always the years to come!
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Yeah I think he might have told a fib. I know it can be frustrating. Some breeders think that “US” bird enthusiast are uneducated in the subject and try to milk the situation. Besides it’s sad to say most breeders are in the bird business to make money and really don’t care what they do or how they care for their animals. Way too sad if you ask me!

Also, ya never know if you’ll get fertile eggs. Some males which have not ringed have produced babies. I wish you luck!

Best wishes

I.C.