Color Combination question

Moderator: Mods

JimHcctx

Color Combination question

Post by JimHcctx »

Hi, I am trying to figure out what the offspring will be on these two pairs. The diffrence between them is SF and DF hens:

Pair One
Male: Green Cleartail
Female: Violet split lacewing (SF)

Pair Two
Male: Green Cleartail
Female: Violet split lacewing (DF)

Neither hen is visual lacewing, but thier mother was a violet lacewing.
thanks!
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
rod038

Re: Color Combination question

Post by rod038 »

You cannot have a split Lacewing Hen. So either they are Lacewing or not. Lacewing or Pallid is a Sex Linked mutation.

Double factor Violets are alot deeper in colour than a single factor Violet.

So you will have a Green Cleartail Cock and a SF Violet Hen and a DF Violet Hen. Are they Violet Blue?

If they are Violet Blue and the Cock is split Blue, which alot of Greens are. From the Single factor Violet Hen you will get Blue and Green as well as Violet Blue and Violet Green all split for Cleartail. From the Double Factor Violet you will get Violet Blue and Violet Green.

If the Cock isnt split blue then all young will be either Green or Violet Green and split to both Blue and Cleartail.
JimHcctx

Re: Color Combination question - follow up question

Post by JimHcctx »

Thank you for the reply, I am missing something with this lacewing business and need some help sorting it out:

I understand that two visual lacewings throw visual lacewings.

I had two solid blues throw a blue lacewing two years ago and was told that both my male and female had to be split lacewing to get the visual.

So if the latter is true (and I saw it), why are you saying that the hen is either lacewing or not lacewing and not split lacewing?

Is their a difference between using the term "split" and the statement "Carrying the lacewing gene" (?)

Or is it that the father has to be the one that is spit??

Maybe one other thing; when you say violet green and violet blue, visually they are the same bird(?) but you are referring to the color probability or inheritance of the offspring or parents?

Thanks
Jim
Jim H
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

if the blue male is split to lacewing and is bred with a blue he you will get male babies that are split to lacewing and female babies that are visually lacewing as the guy said before lacewing is a sexed link gene so only one bird has to carry the gene to produce lacewings as for violet green that is a green bird with violet flight and tail feathers that carries the violet gene and a violet blue bird is a totally violet colored bird go to indianringneck.net and click on mutation photos there is picture with both color birds side by side
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Split means carrying the gene.

A male Lacewing bred with a normal will give Males that are split Lacewing and Lacewing Hens. A split Lacewing male bred to a normal will give both split Lacewing and normal males and Lacewing and normal females.

The young bird you bred from your 2 normal Blues would of been a female.

The person that told you had their mutations mixed up and was treating it as a Recessive mutation instead of Sex Linked.

To breed Lacewings you need either a Split Lacewing or a Lacewing male. Either of them with a Lacewing female will breed all Lacewing young.

Violet Green is a darker green coloured bird and Violet blue is a Violet coloured bird. The Violet green can carry the blue gene as a split, but the Violet blue cant as the green is dominant over blue.
JimHcctx

Post by JimHcctx »

Ok, never heard that before, everyone talks violet and its a purple bird. I almost didn't even see the violet-green bird in the corner of that photo. That I think is what people call a Dark-Green but only saw the one that ended up throwing the violets (violet-blue) in the first place.

Thanks!

Jim
Jim H
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Some colours will mask Violet. If you breed a Grey to a Violet then some of the chicks that are Grey will in fact be masking violet. Meaning that when you breed them they will throw Violets as well. No way of knowing that they mask Violet until they are bred a few times and their results shown.

The Ino (Albino, Lutino) birds will also mask Violet too, thats why not all combinations are for the better.

There are a few types of Dark Green coloured bird too. Violet Green, Grey Green, Green with 1 dark Factor.

The Violet bird you talk about (Purple) is a combination of 2 mutations. Violet and Blue.