question about sharing cages...

Moderator: Mods

blueindianringneck

question about sharing cages...

Post by blueindianringneck »

Should we wait until sexual maturity of both of the birds until we introduce them to the same cage? I have a female that is older (Not sure on age) and waiting on DNA of the violet one, but may have a male. If it turns out to be a male, should we wait until his ring gets darker (sexual maturity reached) before we try to get them use to each other?
ellieelectrons

Re: question about sharing cages...

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think you just need to take your cue from the birds. We started ours in separate cages & phased in time together by putting their cages closer together & having out of cage time together that we supervised. There is one year between our male & female & the male has just reached sexual maturity in the last month but they have been living in the same cage for about a year and a half.

Elle.
julie

Re: question about sharing cages...

Post by julie »

ours ended up in the same cage by doing what ellie said and they would go off into the other ones cage by themself .Sometimes we would come out in the morning and one had let itself out and gone into the other ones cage,we ended up saying bugger it they can stay in the same cage.But it also depends on the birds personalities too.I have 2 irns and 1 alexandrian living together but as far as i know they are all boys (100% sure of alex and 11+yr old irn,unsure of 1yr old irn).