where do I start and should I?

Moderator: Mods

Michelle

where do I start and should I?

Post by Michelle »

Hi guys, it's been a very long time since I've been on this web-site. I have been thinking a little lately about possibly breeding my IRN. He is the only bird I have and is 7 years old. He is tame and well-bonded with me. I also a dog in the house and they are friends. Well, I have so many questions because I know NOTHING about breeding. My first question would be, if I bought a female, would this change my relationship with Jacques (my IRN). I would never want to lose that bond. And if I bought a female, I don't really have the room for two cages, so could they live together all the time in his cage? I'll start with those two questions cuz that will determine whether I should put further thought into breeding him. I just love birds and have a passion for them. I would just love to breed him and have some baby IRN's. That experience would be incredible! Thanks for your response. Michelle
sections

Re: where do I start and should I?

Post by sections »

Hi Michelle I went through the introduction of a new bird to the family a little while ago. As for as the bond between you and Jacques i have been told that a second bird can affect that bond as you are no longer there primary source of attention. Now in saying that i found the opposite to be true. As far as interaction with me, once they got used to each other and my female saw how the new bird was interacting with me and pick up his behavior and actually got more friendly. Although she was a bit wild when i first got her and yours is really tame so.

My first IRN was my female and she was young when i got her and was tame but was still a little bit feral and if she was not in the mood to be handled or had enough she would let you know. When i got my male who was found and no one claimed i kept him in a small spare cage while waited to see if any one claimed him.

When introduced to the female cage even after being in the other cage on top of hers for a while and having some interaction when i had them out, as soon as he went in her cage it was on for young and old. I had to keep them split up. I tried a couple of time with the same result. Now my female had been in that cage for 18 months and she was that protective of it. I actually had to go out and buy a new cage for the both of them to fix the problem. So that is some thing to be aware of.
lucky14

is their any body who guide me for ALXANDRA breeding tips

Post by lucky14 »

i am chand and have 30 pairs of BREEDER ALEXANDRA in my little farm.i adjusted all pairs in separate cages i need further tips from experts :shock: which could really helpful for me to enhance breeding capacity.
regards
chand
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Thank you for your response. I heard that I would have to buy a new cage because Jacques would never let another bird in his cage. I was also told that I would have to take the babies at 3 weeks to start hand-feeding them. Well, that would kinda be impossible because I teach so I would not be home to do this. :( I really wanted to maybe try breeding Jacques, but maybe it's not the right time. I could do it during the summer, but I can't control when they breed if they are in the same cage.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

They will only breed if you give them a nest box and it is breeding season. They don't breed all year round.
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

When is breeding season? and how long is the whole process?
rod038

Post by rod038 »

End of Winter, Start of Spring.

It takes about 4 months
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Hi Michelle.. There is alot to think about.
There is the possibility the bond may be broken, or just a different bond as i found out when my tame pet male started breeding (he had his 1st chicks last year at 10 years old). I found I had to let him be in breeding season. He became wild and hard to handle during breeding season but reverted back to his old tame self out of season. He was more interested in my female in breeding season. He also became quite naturally protective of his mate. I was attacked for getting too close to her or the nest.
You cannot control when they breed, ringnecks are late winter - spring breeders. During this time, you will need ALOT of time, you may need to be feeding the chicks every 2 - 3 hours (thats if your hand rearing - most breeders pull chicks from the nests around 2 weeks of age).. even if there is no nest box.. there is the possibility, it happens.. my female would try and 'make nests' in wardrobes etc before i got a nestbox! You will need room for an appropriate sized nestbox (i could not fit mine in the cage so i had ours ontop of the cage) and if kept indoors (which I have) you will need to have alot of room for them and as I do, let them free from the cage all breeding season , mine needed to access the nestbox outside of the cage so it was best for us to just let them free range in the house, i can say, they make a huge mess! However most people who breed keep there birds outdoors in an aviary!
My 2 never really liked to sleep in the same cage together, they would swap cages but never slept together. So you cannot garentee they will sleep together peacefully in the same cage. But you can try!
In saying this, in my 2 years of raising chicks, it is one of the most amazing experiences seeing my boy grow up and have his own family, raising his chicks was a real honor!
However, think about whether you could handle adjusting to a 'different' kind of bond with your bird, it might not be broken but could you let go a little? do you have the time and money? (i found out that breeding can be expensive with the amount of food they eat, setting up a brooder, then weekly formula.. it all adds up) I suggest ALOT of researching and help from experienced breeders before thinking of breeding. Just like people to know its not as easy as putting a male and female in a cage. Hope I didnt scare you out of it. I hope you get to experience it one day. Its a real joy!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year