Handling Babies

Moderator: Mods

sections

Handling Babies

Post by sections »

Hey my pair are sitting on there first lot of eggs, which are due to start hatching in 12 days. I have a few questions i was hoping you guys could help with. I unfortunately don't have the time to hand feed from 2 weeks due to work and i also do not have any experience hand rearing birds. My first questions is if i leave the babies in with the parents am i able to still handle them and take them out the breeding box to play with them so the get used to being handled. My second question is at 25 days from what i have read they need feeding 3 times a day is this correct? I will be on holidays for 2 weeks when they are 25 days and will remove the babies then to hand rear, is this an OK way to do it or is it to late by then to hand rear? I have a brooder ready and really want to hand rear so any help would be appreciated.
rod038

Re: Handling Babies

Post by rod038 »

Is it the hens first lot of eggs that she has laid? This can determine what you should be doing.
sections

Post by sections »

Yes Rod it is they are first timers. I will be monitoring them through the first 25 days to make sure they are feeding and caring for young properly. I must say so far they are doing all the right things as for as the eggs go with incubation and protection. Male has become very protective of the female and the nest. He will try and get your attention by squawking on the other side off the cage if you look in the nest box. If that does not work he just goes and stands in between me and the nest box and squawks at me. The Female is in the nest prob 90 percent of the team sitting on the eggs.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I always try and let my hens when it is their first time raise the chicks themselves unless they have problems. The reason being is if you take away the chicks early this year then next year it may cause a problem if the chicks are left with her as she may want them out the nest like happened this year.

Also I would not be disturbing her too much. A check every now and again is ok to make sure things are going well. I check my nest box every few days till I see an egg. Then I leave it for a week and then see how many eggs there are. From then on I will maybe check it once more till they hatch which will be approx 30 days from the date of the first egg being laid. Check it daily when they are hatching to see that they are being looked after. All the eggs will hatch over a few days with usually the first 2 on the same day.

You can handle them but I wouldnt be taking them away from the nest for too long. They open their eyes and become more aware of whats going on at about 2 weeks and will be getting pin feathers at about 4 weeks. They will reach an age when they will try and get away from you when you look in the box usually around 4 weeks and screach out if you try to grab one.
You can hand rear at all ages up until they are weaned. The later you leave it the easier they are to feed and keep warm.
sections

Post by sections »

Thanks Rod i may just leave them and keep an eye on them till they are closer to weaning.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Just hatched
About 3 weeks old
Codys Mom

Post by Codys Mom »

awww what cuties and look at thoose red beaks lol