food to feed to my ringnecks while breeding

Moderator: Mods

jordyn98

food to feed to my ringnecks while breeding

Post by jordyn98 »

hello, im new to this site and have recently purchased a male and a female ring neck. they are around the same age and came from 2 different breeders. the male is showing some major interest in the female. i feed them all kinds of different foods including seeds fresh fruit and vegetables and the occasional nut. i was just wondering since it is breeding season here in Australia and the male is showing interest in the female if there is any particular diet i need to give them?? i have a suspicion that i need to soak their food in water before i give it to them for ease of digestion but im not 100% sure. please help me in answering this question for i want to be able to successfully breed my birds phoebe and roger.
thank you
Christie
ellieelectrons

Re: food to feed to my ringnecks while breeding

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Christy

You can buy seed mixes called "soaking seed" and "sprouting seed". Mine aren't breeding but I give them sprouting seed occasionally. I think soaking seed is more for breeding birds but I could be wrong. In australia you can order these from the Parrot Society if you can't find the anywhere else. You will also find recipes online if you want to make it yourself.

Hopefully an experienced breeder will give you some more information.

Ellie.
julie

Post by julie »

I give mine corn on the cob plus whatever other veg I have and paw paw plus other fruits.There is a calcium supplement that can go in the water.Egg and biscuit mix is good too.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Coming into breeding season, I feed my birds vetafarm breeder pellets, seed, fruit/veg and sprouted seed. Once babies arrive I increase the fruit and veg to twice a day as the chicks grow and require more food, also add egg and biscuit every second day. I also pick grass and seeding grass that pops up in the yard. The seem to enjoy the juicy stalk.

Good luck with your breeding. :)