breeding

Moderator: Mods

trudie

breeding

Post by trudie »

do chicks at 3 weeks old after being taken away from there mother have to go into a brooder seeming as it is summer or can they be put into a plastic contioner like what they use for rats etc and whats the best food to hand rear them on i am in england thanks
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Keep the chicks inside a brooder until they are about four weeks old. I know other breeders do not keep them inside a brooder that long. I however tend to keep them inside a brooder until the forth week, which assures me that everything is functioning perfectly. If it’s too cold for the chicks it slows down their digestive tract and the growth of the baby. I always say, “It’s better to be safe then sorry.” Just make sure you keep the temperature around 80F-85F. If it’s too hot for the chicks, watch for panting of the beak, then lower the temperature until the chicks are comfortable.

When the chicks are ready to be removed, use a 10-gallon aquarium and line it with paper towels. Keep both IRN babies together so they can snuggle and keep each other warm. If you want tame babies, now is the time to start socializing. Make sure you snuggle and play with each baby daily. Do about three sessions, each session fifteen minutes, until you sell them or they are weaned.

Keep the babies together rather then put them inside a plastic container by themselves. It’s more secure and emotionally more comforting to the baby to be with another IRN.

For handfeeding formula, use Kaytee Exact. It's really great.

Hope this helps,

I.C
(I changed my name) A.K.A. Kingtutone :wink: