Not sure what to do!

Moderator: Mods

rosemaryalice

Not sure what to do!

Post by rosemaryalice »

My blue cinnamon male and violet green female have a nest going. There are 3 eggs and she is sitting all the time and he is feeding her. I put 3 inches of shavings in the bottom of the nest. It is a boot shaped one. She went in and scattered all the shavings to the other side of he boot and made here nest on the bare wood. They are strictly a breeding pair and get upset if I check the nest or bother them. I don't want to cause her to leave the nest but I am concerned about this. Is there anything that can be done or should be done? They are due to hatch by the end of june. I would really like to get the babies from this pair so I need to know if I need to do anything or just leave them alone.
dog_glenn123

Re: Not sure what to do!

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there,

Last year one of my hens did the same thing pushed all the nesting material too one side
and layed on the bottom of the nest.

I checked the temp of her eggs compared to another pair an they are the same,
so dont worry its amazing how warm they can get them.

This year the same hen has thrown all the meterial out of the box she just doesnt seem to like it.

Good luck either way.

Ta Glenn
rosemaryalice

Re: Not sure what to do!

Post by rosemaryalice »

Thx, Glenn now I can relax and enjoy them! I think they know what they are doing more than we do. I am really anxious to see what they come up with but I don't want to disturb her to check the eggs. He yells at me if I go near the cage. He was supposed to be hand fed at one time but has been a breeder bird for years.