Do Ringnecks ever breed outside of the season?

Moderator: Mods

Kikiiimariee

Do Ringnecks ever breed outside of the season?

Post by Kikiiimariee »

I live in Florida and I was wondering if I moved my pair indoors and regulated the temperature it might not be too late to see some eggs?
rod038

Re: Do Ringnecks ever breed outside of the season?

Post by rod038 »

Usually once there done there done. Thre is a cut off time and I am not sure what it is in Florida. If you try to breed them out of season it is usually not very successfull. They may mate but you will either get no eggs or clear eggs.
Kikiiimariee

Post by Kikiiimariee »

Aw ok, I'm so impatient for the first babies! lol
rod038

Post by rod038 »

The breeding season where I am will start in about a months time. My birds are paired up and the nest boxes will be placed at the end of July.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I have my 2 indoors so their temp is regulated and a constant temp and they are just used to be indoor birds. Whilst my 2 have only successfuly bred once last year, this year they are months too early. Breeding season here doesnt really start until July.. my 2 started 2 months early! I havnt checked on the eggs but Im doubtful they are fertile as they were just too early this year. Many breeders let them breed year round. I dont know how successful they are though? Usually once season is over they are done. But 2 years ago, my 2 started early like this year, i put the nest out since she was ready to lay some eggs, they ended up being infertile, so i took them and the nest, but they wernt done yet! she laid 6 eggs that year, 3 then i had to put the nest out again and she laid another 3! Odd!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

Reproduction in IRN is driven by photoperiod acting on the secretion of melatonin by the pineal gland and retinas, not by temperature. After the breeding period is finished there are several months of refractoriness (the birds do not react to any lighting schedule). There after if you change the lighting conditions you can re-start a breeding period before the normal year-around natural photoperiod schedule.

When breeders located in the southern hemisphere buy birds to breeders located in the northern hemisphere, the birds are out of phase of 6 months respective to their origin, but breeders can already get chicks without waiting 18 months, because the photorefractory period is already past.

Some early breeders can make two separated clutches in one year (spring and fall) but this remains the exception, and, to my knowledge, it has only been described by breeders located in tropical areas, where the changes in seasonal lighting are minimal.

Recio
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thankyou Recio for your knowledge. I wanted to know this too. My 2 just hatched a chick overnight, they are 2 months too early. :shock:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year