aviary question

Moderator: Mods

type.rst

aviary question

Post by type.rst »

Hello guys i have been keeping and breeding budgies and cockatiels for a long time. Now im in the process of building an aviary in my garden which will be 13ft x 8ft wide. flight area will be 9ft x 8ft and speeping quarters will be 6ft x 4ft.

Originally the aviary was going to be for cockateils and budgies. But now i fancy a change and i have always liked ringnecks. I am from the UK and the weather here can get quite cold in the winter, I know budgies and cockatiels would cope well but how abouw IRN's? I need to know if ringnecks will breed sucessfully in an aviary setup. i was thinking of maybe 8 birds in total for the aviary.

I have just started looking into this so if you people can please tell meif ringnecks parrots:

1. would cope with UK weather

2. would breed sucessfully in an aviary with a couple of other pairs around.

Thank you for your help.
njournel101

Re: aviary question

Post by njournel101 »

I am not an expert but I would not have IRN's with cockatiels and budgies in the aviary of the size you mentioned. The IRN's would be fine in UK weather as long as they had a shelter for the winter. If you really wanted IRN's perhaps you could divide the aviary into 2 sections. One with cockatiels and budgies and the other with a pair of IRN's.
I hope that helps. I'm sure others will give you advice as well.
type.rst

Post by type.rst »

No mate i am not going to keep them together, the aviary will be just for the ringnecks. What i wanted to know is if i buy say 4 pairs of ringnecks will they successfully breed without disturbing each other? does this sort of breeding method work well with ringnecks?

Also i wanted to know if they would cope with uk weather.

Thanks.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

no!! you would be taking a big risk at breeding time it would be best to make aviary into separate cages to house individual pairs and it's best that the partitions are solid so they don't see each other so birds in different cages don't want to bond to one another instead of the bird in the same cage as for winter they can take the cold pretty good you might just want to build it so you can put up plastic sheeting to block the north wind
Linda27

Post by Linda27 »

Aviaries should keep in mind that cleaning wil be extremely difficult. It is particularly difficult if done within and not outside, but they are all exactly the same units. Always clean the inside of nurseries at least twice or three times a week to keep your birds out of the bacteria and viruses. If you determine to put a ceramic tile floor, and it would be easy to keep clean cages.

aviaries
rickyc

Post by rickyc »

the irn might be alright kept together until about december after that they will be looking to mate and could start fighting each other especially the hens and when they have chicks each pair will defend them rigorously even trying to kill them so unless you are going to divide your avairy to 1 pair per avairy it would be very unwise to keep them all together