Very Frustrated

Moderator: Mods

jeezusbeams

Very Frustrated

Post by jeezusbeams »

My hen is in her nest box like 23hrs a day but there are no eggs, looks like she is going to drop one but hasn';t her poop is thicker and darker so that is a sign she is going to lay but she has been in this box for like 2 weeks and i dont see any eggs am i missing something?
SCB -SA

Re: Very Frustrated

Post by SCB -SA »

How old is she?
It is possible she could be egg bound, you need to watch her carefully as an egg bound female can die very quickly if not given the right medical attention.
jeezusbeams

Post by jeezusbeams »

HEllo and thanks for replying but she has dropped her first egg and is doing well. I appreaciate the comment about egg binding i didn't know that could happen since this will be my first batch of irn babies. She is good and dropping an egg every other day we are on two eggs now.
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

good i am glad she is okay, younger birds tend to be more prone to becoming egg bound, make sure you give her extra vitamins and minerals in the form of mineral blocks etc, helps restore the minerals n calcium used to create the egg and shell!
jeezusbeams

Post by jeezusbeams »

She wont touch the mineral blocks. I dont know she doesn't play with toys, or anything.
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

then try the shell from an boiled egg, crushed and added to her normal food, that is good as well.