Please help me understand IRN Female's behavior

Moderator: Mods

Sunshineusa

Please help me understand IRN Female's behavior

Post by Sunshineusa »

Hi.:) I have a Blue female IRN (approx 3 1/2 yrs old), a Blue Male IRN (approx. 3 yrs old), and a Lutino Female IRN (2 yrs old) & a green Male IRN (2 yrs old). The green IRN & Lutino IRN are brother & sister. I acquired the Blue Female IRN from a lady who was allowing this Blue female IRN to attempt at breeding w/a Blue Male IRN, but was having problems because her Blue Male IRN was bonded with a Lovebird. I only realized afterwards that the Blue Female IRN was very attached to the Blue Male IRN and was very jealous of the Lovebird being bonded to the Blue Male IRN. Since I brought the Blue Female IRN home to join my small brood of IRNs, she's become very obsessed with my Blue Male IRN, who is absolutely TERRIFIED of her!:( My Blue Male IRN likes to live in a big cage with my Lutino Female IRN, though it seems like the Lutino Female & my Blue Male are just roommates, that is, they don't preen each other or feed each other or anything. The Blue Female IRN attacks and chases after my Blue Male any chance she gets & is now terribly jealous of my Lutino female & chases her as well.:( When I did try putting the Blue Female & Blue Male together, the Blue Male was screaming his distinctive "Help Me" scream & she kept chasing him around the cage and was practically attacking him by flying at him. So, I immediately separated them. Every chance she gets, the Blue Female now runs over to the Blue Male/Lutino Female's cage & tries to get in. If the Blue Female can't get inside, she goes over to the Blue Male's side of the cage & hangs on the bars attaching herself to the Blue Male's side of the cage, and clucking away at him & her pupils are tiny specks. I realize she may be obsessed w/my Blue Male because of her former boyfriend.

For a while, I had hopes that she would find a new partner because she started cooing away at my Green Male & he was flirting back w/her by dancing & strutting for her. But it was obvious that he didn't know what to do next as he's still a bit of a baby & his ring is just starting to come out. So, my Blue female would get frustrated & go into her cage or chase after my Blue Male & Lutino Female.

Then in the past few weeks, all of a sudden my Green Male no longer flirts w/my Blue Female & she has begun pecking at him if he comes near & ignoring him if he's in the cage w/her & she's become even more obssessed & agressive than ever towards my Blue Male & Lutino Female.:(

To make matters worse, my Lutino Female has become sexually mature as well as she's cooing away just like the Blue Female, and in the past few weeks the Lutino Female is cooing away at her brother, my Green Male & he's also begun dancing & strutting for her the way he used to do in front of my Blue Female!:( And every chance my Lutino Female & her brother, my Male green get, they try to go & hang out where the other is, and each time it enrages my Blue Female. And now, my Blue Male is trying to chase my Green Male away whenever the Green Male is trying to bond with his sister, the Lutino female!

I just don't know what to do... Is it normal for a brother & sister IRNs to bond & flirt w/each other the way they are lately? And why is the Blue female attacking the Blue Male & runs into his cage or hangs on the side of his cage every chance she gets? Does she want to kill the Lutino Female? Does she want to kill or mate with the Blue Male? I read somewhere that female IRNs can be housed together & the males housed together until breeding time, but in this case, the Blue Female & Lutino Female don't get along at all. The Lutino Female is absolutely TERRIFIED of the Blue Female. But what is most astounding is that the Blue Female is the smallest size of all my IRNs and yet she isn't scared of anyone or anything!! She's not even scared of our docile big Black Lab!! Can somebody please help me understand what's going on with my IRNs & how to help all of them settle down & live peacefully & happily & be friendly w/each other? Wishful thinking, I know.:) But, it does seem like the root of the problem is my Blue Female. I welcome any and all your advice!:) Thank you!:)
SCB -SA

Re: Please help me understand IRN Female's behavior

Post by SCB -SA »

hi females are flirts, and will tend to flirt with whichever male then CANT have, and if you then swop and give them the male they want, they will want the male they had in the first place.... Confusing huh?

Best things is to put them with the partner you want them to have and seperate them from any other pairs so they cant see each other.

Keep your related ones away from each other, in the wild they may interbreed, but its not good and will result in deformed babies that often die whilst still young!

Best advice i got!!