At what age should I start hand raising indian ringneck

Moderator: Mods

aaronmartirano

At what age should I start hand raising indian ringneck

Post by aaronmartirano »

I am new to breeding IRNS and my pair are three years old living in same 6x5x5 cage all year round and have for the first time started loading nesting box and preening each other and female is spending a few hour aday in nesting box and male is very protective and will not even let me into cage any more .So the time is finally coming :lol:

I am wanting to hand raise the chicks but have heard different things about the best methods and when to start hand raising them .
I know you can start on day 1 and I have heard start on day 14 I want to know what is recommended and easiest for bird and breeder.

thank you all for any help that you offer
The sky is the limit
Aaron Martirano
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

The easiest way is to pull them at around 3-4 weeks when they have feathers enough to keep themselves warm without a brooder. Any later than that and they may have trouble accepting food.

It's not reccomended to pull babies from day one, as the parents give them good bacteria in the first feedinds, and it saves you feeding them every two hours. But if you have to do this there are substitues for this bacteria.
aaronmartirano

thanks

Post by aaronmartirano »

Thank you for that information I can relax now for a little while
Spread your wings and fly
The sky is the limit
Aaron Martirano
{250}335-3024 Pst.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I pull mine for h/r at 2-3 weeks of age.
Either just before the pins come in or when the pins just start coming in is ideal.