Splayed legs or am I just an overly worried new mum?

Moderator: Mods

Lisa_G

Splayed legs or am I just an overly worried new mum?

Post by Lisa_G »

Hi everyone! Yesterday I went to look at an 8 week old gorgeous grey IRN, but fell in love with a 2 week old turquoise baby! I've brought him home and of course am resisting the urge to spend ALL day looking at him adoringly :-)

I have never hand reared a baby before, and have been studiously researching and collecting as much knowledge from the internet as possible. The lady that sold it to me told me she has been hand rearing for some time, and told me to only feed him twice a day, 9am and 5pm. Sounded a little strange, and after my research, I will be following a very helpful post I found here on the forum.

My real question though: I've noticed in the 24 hours that I've had my baby, that he doesn't do much with his legs, they sit on either side of his body...I read about "splayed legs" and am extremely concerned. Is it normal for a 2 week old baby not to be able to stand up? Or am I just being an overly worried new mum?
SCB -SA

Re: Splayed legs or am I just an overly worried new mum?

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi there, first things first, if he is only 2 weeks old, he will have no feathers, so you will only know the colour based on what the breeder tells you, which may be untrue.
Secondly, if it is 2 weeks old please follow the helpful posts here for howoften and how much it should be fed.
Thirdly, I am in the same boat as you, i have just got a 3 week old baby who has splayed legs, no matter how small they are their legs should never stick straight out from their sides, thier legs should be tucked up under them, please post a pic, it often makes it much easier for us to help and give asdvise, but looking at your baby from the top you should not see his legs sticking out, and even if it is not splayed legs, I would recommend taking your little one for a vet check, as if he was only being fed twice a day, he may have deficieincies causing him problems.

Hope this helps!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

This is a little off-topic... but is it common for breeders to give baby birds to people to handraise for themselves? With both our birds, the breeder thought it important for the babies to be raised with their siblings and, I guess, by someone who knew what they were doing.

What is everyone else's take on this?

Ellie.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Ellie

I see it advertised a lot where you can take the bird early for a cheaper price and finish the hand rearing process yourself. As far as I was aware, it is actually illegal in Queensland to sell an unweaned baby bird.

Regards

Shane
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi, it is very commom were I stay for breeders to sell young babies for the owners to hand raise, and it is actually quite often a problem as the breeders do not instruct the new owners on how to do it correctly, it makes no difference to them if they are raised with sibling or not, they are still the same as pets, just more used to human contact....
Lisa_G

Post by Lisa_G »

Sorry to have stirred up controversy! I am taking my IRN to an avian vet tomorrow morning for a full check up and advice, and will be doing everything possible to give this new little member of the family the best possible life!
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

Hi Lisa dont mind us, we often all get into little debates over peoples person views of what should and shouldnt be done, dont take anything to heart, we all have the same thing in mind and it is whats best for all our babies! pls post some pics, you welcome to go check out a few pics of my bub - post is called NEW BUBBY! he is too beautiful, and pls feel free to post some pics of your bub, its always lovely to see what they look like and how they grow!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Lisa

Glad your little guy is getting a vet checkup. I hope it all goes well.

I hope I didn't say anything that offended you. I'm glad you are taking such good care of your little guy... I'm sure there are other people who would get such a tiny baby and not do such a good job as you.

Sorry to hi-jack the conversation... it just surprised me that so many people seem to be getting one little one from a breeder to handraise... I had never come across that where I live. My birds have been weaned when I got them and there was no way the breeder would give them to me earlier. It's interesting to hear how things are done elsewhere.

Keep up the good work.

Ellie.
Lisa_G

Post by Lisa_G »

No offence taken, just feeling a bit irresponsible! It's a big job, having someone's life in your hands, but I really am willing to learn and take as much advice as possible! In the 24 hours that I've had my IRN, I've learnt to watch his crop, and that my bent spoon is much more effective than the syringe. And to let him sleep a lot! Intuition and sensitivity are winning so far, but I know I've got a long way to go.

Anyway! A couple of photos...he's a really nice teal colour. Any guesses to age?
Attachments
baby2.jpg
baby.jpg
SCB -SA

Post by SCB -SA »

hey there, such a beautiful baby! but definately not 2 weeks old, at least between 5-7 weeks old to have that many feather, go have a peek at my bub he is 3 weeks and still a little baldy, only has pin feathers and nakedness!

have to say you have a stunner there in terms of colour!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

You've got a beautiful little guy there! Well done... Such vibrant feathers.
Lisa_G wrote:No offence taken, just feeling a bit irresponsible!
From my observations of you on this list, I'd say you are being extremely responsible... if anyone was acting irresponsibly it was the breeder.

You should be proud of your efforts.

Ellie.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

So what about the leg issue? I have never heard of tis, im interested in people's opinions.

He / She is very beautiful :) I think people lie. My baby had more feathers than that when i got her and she was supposed to be 3 - 4 weeks old. Now im wondering how old she really was :( I think every country and area has different laws on handrearing. Im personally glad I did my own and formed the bond I did but I do agree they need to be with their siblings for a while as well. it was hard work though and I was terrified of doing something wrong.

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...
Coastal-Birds

Post by Coastal-Birds »

Hi
The bird needs its legs held in the right position ,there is another topic on this with the bird wearing a device.
This is caused most often by not enough calcium in its diet.
Vetafarm make calcivit which can be added to it hand raising mixture.Do this for 2 weeks with the suppliment.
Lisa_G

Post by Lisa_G »

Hi everyone! So we went to the vet today, and it turns out it the reason he couldn't stand up is a combination of him being *fat* but undernourished - fed too much with food lacking vitamins, so his calcium-deficient legs couldn't hold up his fat bottom! So! He had a vitamin shot, had his poo looked at under a microscope (all good) and am now using a handraising mix high in vitamins. To correct his legs, the vet suggested sitting him up in a container small enough so that his legs are tucked underneath his body, so he can push out onto something firm (I have an oversized teacup that works perfectly, and looks adorable!) and also to handle him often, keeping his legs held together and head in place, and getting him to practice stretching his legs and grasping onto my fingers with his claws. Exercise! As a last resort he gave me some tape, to tape his legs together for the week.

All in all, a very successful and worthwhile trip to the vet. I think this little guy was pretty lucky to have come to me when he did, despite my inexperience. The teacup/container is great, made feeding him tonight so much easier, he's all tucked in and happy as can be! Onwards and upwards from here!

PS - the name of the new handrearing mix is "Tropican".
Lisa_G

Post by Lisa_G »

Coastal-Birds wrote:Hi
The bird needs its legs held in the right position ,there is another topic on this with the bird wearing a device.
This is caused most often by not enough calcium in its diet.
Vetafarm make calcivit which can be added to it hand raising mixture.Do this for 2 weeks with the suppliment.
Spot on! :-) xxx
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks for sharing about your vet visit. I'm glad your little guy has you to look after him!

Ellie.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Im glad to hear there is a good solutiont o this problem :) sounds like he is doing MUCH better alreay! well done to you!

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...