Help with nest boxes please!!!!

Moderator: Mods

Poppy

Help with nest boxes please!!!!

Post by Poppy »

I am in the process of building my aviary for my hen and would like to get her a mate for next year. I have looked for a proper nesting box with no luck.

It seems most petstores will sell you anything even if it is wrong! A few of them tell me that they use a cockatiel nesting box just fine for ringnecks but another store that I use more often because of it's size and knowledge especially on birds says there is a difference between the cockatiel box and Indian Ringneck box. Apparently the IRN box is deeper and wider because of the length of their tails and moving space.

In the opinions of people who breed, which is better? Im battling to get my hands on an IRN box and im not very patient but if it's going to make a huge difference I will because I insist on doing things 100% right!

Could I get away with a cockatiel box or should I just keep searching until i can get the real IRN box??

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...
julie

Re: Help with nest boxes please!!!!

Post by julie »

its an irn box for a reason so i would get a big enough box.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

cockatiel box will be too small.
have you ever thought about making your own?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

the right size box is 12"x12"x 24" deep or 250mm x 250mm x 500mm deep with a ladder on the inside against the front wall (side with hole) for the hen to climb down
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

The one shop told me specifically that some breeders get away with a cocketiel box but it's not deep enough etc for the tail. I would rather do it properly and not end up buying another one later!

Making one myself is too much! Im not that handy with wood! They are not expensive...here is South Africa I am paying R120 for it which is about $17 i would say.

Im going to confirm those measurements when I go in there tomorrow and see if the stock has arrived :)

We think caged birds sing, when indeed they cry...