is this normal

Moderator: Mods

xamago

is this normal

Post by xamago »

hi i don't know if this is the right place to put this but one of my baby ringneck chicks has red eyes. it is 2 weeks old and is this normal do all chicks start off with this and does this give an indercation of what color it's going to be.
thx please reply.
Attachments
the 2 week old chick
the 2 week old chick
333greenbean333

Re: is this normal

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Hi,
red eyes mean it is a ino of some type. either a pallia, albino or lutino. if you can tell me the parents i will be able to tell you what colour it is.
David :D
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
xamago

Post by xamago »

333greenbean333 wrote:Hi,
red eyes mean it is a ino of some type. either a pallia, albino or lutino. if you can tell me the parents i will be able to tell you what colour it is.
hi the male is green but both his parents where yellow and the hen was blue/grey and i don't know what her parents are.

thanks for replying
Attachments
smaller copy.jpg
333greenbean333

Hi,
Thanks for the that =D. The greens parents both could not have been lutino as that would result in all lutino babies. the chick will be a lutino. and a girl.

1.0 green /ino x 0.1 grey(sf) blue

% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) green /blue ino
25.0% 1.0 green /blue ino
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) green /blue
25.0% 1.0 green /blue

% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) ino /blue
25.0% 0.1 ino /blue 25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) green /blue
25.0% 0.1 green /blue

thanks, David
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
xamago

Post by xamago »

333greenbean333 wrote:Hi,
Thanks for the that =D. The greens parents both could not have been lutino as that would result in all lutino babies. the chick will be a lutino. and a girl.

1.0 green /ino x 0.1 grey(sf) blue

% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) green /blue ino
25.0% 1.0 green /blue ino
25.0% 1.0 grey(sf) green /blue
25.0% 1.0 green /blue

% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) ino /blue
25.0% 0.1 ino /blue 25.0% 0.1 grey(sf) green /blue
25.0% 0.1 green /blue

thanks, David

i am possitive the green males parents where both yellow because i saw them when i bought my male but the yellow parents hand three babies they were all green but they where all males .the breeder said if they were female then that chick would be yellow.

oh and i had a look to see if my other chick had red eyes but it had black eyes can you work out what color that would be. also do all lutino ringnecks have red eyes or can some have black.

thx
Attachments
this is my green males parents
this is my green males parents
333greenbean333

Hi,
That is unusual.. two ino will make 100% ino. oh well.
The ones with the black eyes will be either green or grey.
Also there is such this as a black eyed lutino, I think. But they are rare!
hope this helps
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Sorry to interupt guys,

See the blue hen in the forground of the picture that is the mother of your cock bird.

It is impossible to get any other colour then yellow out of 2 yellow birds.

I had a pair of lutinos in an aviary and a blue hen as well and the pair raised the babies but the babies where infact from the blue hen who bread with the male and layed the eggs but then the lution hen took over from there.

Thanks Glenn
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Wow - what a bunch of detectives you guys are! That's amazing! I am in awe. Well done!

Living in the aviary is a little like Days of Our Lives!

Ellie.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi;

How to obtain other thing than yellow from 2 yellow parents?

Many possibilities:

1. The yellow parents are not true yellows but the male is the "typical" lutino (sex-linked lutino) and the female is a black eye lutino (in fact a green dilute looking very much like a lutino). These parents would produce 100% lutino daugthers and 100% green sons split SL-ino and dilute. Since the parents have only produced males it would be normal that all of them were green. This green male split ino and dilute will produce 50% of lutino daugthers. So this possibility could be right for your results and it seems that the yellow bird in the right could be a female, the eye is dark and the yellow has a green sufusion.

2.The yellow parents are true lutinos. It means that both display a mutation which inhibits melanin synthesis. Melanin synthesis can be inhibited at different points of its metabolic pathway. There are 2 mutations which can do it, and they inherit in a different way: the sex linked lutino (SL-ino) and the non sex linked lutino (NSL-ino; in fact a recessive mutation). If you pair a NSL-ino male with a SL-ino female (both true lutinos) you will obtain green birds, both males and females (males will be split for NSL-ino and also for SL-ino; females will be split only for NSL-ino). This male split NSL-ino and SL-ino will produce 50% of yellow daugthers by expression in the females of the SL-ino gen, thus matching also your results. Nevertheless NSL-ino is a very rare mutation.

Look at the eyes of the yellow female: if they are black she is a dilute and the yellow male is a SL-ino; if they are red she is a SL-ino but the male is the very, very, very rare NSL-ino .... You can try to get it at a normal lutino price :wink:

Finally there is the third possibility as explained by Glenn.

Good luck

Recio
xamago

Post by xamago »

dog_glenn123 wrote:Sorry to interupt guys,

See the blue hen in the forground of the picture that is the mother of your cock bird.

It is impossible to get any other colour then yellow out of 2 yellow birds.

I had a pair of lutinos in an aviary and a blue hen as well and the pair raised the babies but the babies where infact from the blue hen who bread with the male and layed the eggs but then the lution hen took over from there.

Thanks Glenn
im sorry but i am 99% sure they were the parents.
and if you think that two of the same colour birds makes all the same colour babies.tell me then how did it start with the different mutations since they were all green in the wild and the yellow parents would still have green in there genes.
xamago

Post by xamago »

Recio wrote:Hi;

How to obtain other thing than yellow from 2 yellow parents?

Many possibilities:

1. The yellow parents are not true yellows but the male is the "typical" lutino (sex-linked lutino) and the female is a black eye lutino (in fact a green dilute looking very much like a lutino). These parents would produce 100% lutino daugthers and 100% green sons split SL-ino and dilute. Since the parents have only produced males it would be normal that all of them were green. This green male split ino and dilute will produce 50% of lutino daugthers. So this possibility could be right for your results and it seems that the yellow bird in the right could be a female, the eye is dark and the yellow has a green sufusion.

2.The yellow parents are true lutinos. It means that both display a mutation which inhibits melanin synthesis. Melanin synthesis can be inhibited at different points of its metabolic pathway. There are 2 mutations which can do it, and they inherit in a different way: the sex linked lutino (SL-ino) and the non sex linked lutino (NSL-ino; in fact a recessive mutation). If you pair a NSL-ino male with a SL-ino female (both true lutinos) you will obtain green birds, both males and females (males will be split for NSL-ino and also for SL-ino; females will be split only for NSL-ino). This male split NSL-ino and SL-ino will produce 50% of yellow daugthers by expression in the females of the SL-ino gen, thus matching also your results. Nevertheless NSL-ino is a very rare mutation.

Look at the eyes of the yellow female: if they are black she is a dilute and the yellow male is a SL-ino; if they are red she is a SL-ino but the male is the very, very, very rare NSL-ino .... You can try to get it at a normal lutino price :wink:

Finally there is the third possibility as explained by Glenn.

Good luck

Recio
thanks for putting that info up because it supports the fact that the parents were both yellow.

and it's funny that the post was actually about the chicks and this is what it lead to.

thanx to everyone who replyed to my question