Mum not feeding chick

Moderator: Mods

333greenbean333

Mum not feeding chick

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Hi,
this morning I found that the mum of her 1 chick was not looking after it. The hen is out for 30 to 45 minutes, then it goes in for 5 min and then is back out. The chick is about 3 weeks old now. should I take the chick out? I have looked at the crop 3 times today and everytime its empty.
also is ther a higher risk of the chick dying handrearing a 3 week old baby or 4 week old? or are they about the same?
thanks
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
MariaFT

Re: Mum not feeding chick

Post by MariaFT »

Hi Greenbean, I would pull it out and start feeding immediately. I had to pull 4 yesterday, 2 haven't got their eyes open yet, but all are doing really well. The smaller ones are so much easier than the big ones, they don't care who the mummy is, unlike the bigger ones.

Good luck with your baby!
333greenbean333

Hi,
thanks for you response
I just took it in. I left it for about 20 min then tried to feed it. it then started to screem and tried to bite me. its only 3 weeks old. so it wouldent eat. is that normal?
thanks
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

It will be hard, but you have to get a firm, but not too firm hold around it's little body, just so it can't move. I use a bent spoon, and then gently prize it's beak open to pour the food down. You'll have to persevere, and it will resist every step of the way, but one day soon it will 'click' and be clamouring over you to get to the food.

Maybe the mix wasn't warm enough? Keep trying until the little crop is full, but not stretched. It will take time and patience unfortunately.

Good luck :)
julie

Post by julie »

try using your thumb and finger and gently touch the chicks beak (immitate the parent feeding). do you have any other bubs you have pulled out? if so try putting the newest chick near them to get it into feeding mode.
333greenbean333

hi, thanks for both your replys. he is doing much better on his seconde feed now. thanks. also that touching the beak really works well.
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
julie

Post by julie »

your doing well :D it gets easier once you get used to feeding them and observing their behaviours. Talk to the chic and it will get used to your voice, i talk to mine (handraising 3 chicks at the moment) I say hello babies are you hungry and they make these funny little noises, the hungry noise is different to the acknowledging im there noise. please dont hesitate to ask as many questions as you have we are happy to help.
333greenbean333

thanks julie,
I have handraised chicks before but never as yound as 3 weeks old, I think i am just scared.
thanks for all you help~~!!
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Hi Greenbean, how are you going with your chick? I hope all is going well! I know it's a big job, and you have to plan your life around it. Please let us know :)
333greenbean333

Hi,
thanks for checking up. He/she is doing really well!! it is a "pig" when it comes to food now lol. I find it much easier to hand raise this one compared to the 5 week old ones I use to do. I turnes out he is going to be a violet. i am so happy. how are you babies going?
thanks David
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Hi David, I'm so glad to hear it's going well! I know all about little pigs lol. They are so much easier when they're small aren't they? All of mine (8) are really good to feed, but the little ones are slow. You have to wait for them to swallow, then the food gets too cold lol. But it's going to be worth it.

Two of the bigger ones are going to new homes tomorrow. I know it's horrible to say, but they are driving me a bit mental lol. I can't give them as much attention as they are demanding, and they are all bickering and jealous lol.

They need to bond with their new companions now. Not me! I still love them very much though, and will be sad to see them go..
333greenbean333

Hi,
Its good to hear that things are going well. Its always the hardest part when they have to leave to go to there new owner. Also contratz for handraising 8 ringnecks! the most I have done is 4. lol
David
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

I'm a bit stressed about when they start flying lol. It's going to be a bit of a nightmare! It's was hard enough with the 4 that have just weaned :shock: I think I"ll be closing the breeding box off after the first brood next year :) I think..... well we'll see..... they are so lovely :P
333greenbean333

Lol, Good luck then. hope it all goes well with the ringnecks.
David
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))