Does anyone here make up their own hand raising mix?

Moderator: Mods

MariaFT

Does anyone here make up their own hand raising mix?

Post by MariaFT »

Hi all, just curious if anyone makes up their own hand feeding mixes? And what the results are?

I currently am feeding my babies Vetafarm, which is over $50 a bag here. I was going through a bag a week at one state feeding 4 babies, next week I'll be starting again with 8.

I'm not a tight arse, and will in no way comprimise their health, but is there something one could make up themselves? If not I'll keep up the current one.

I only ask, as I have MS and can no longer work, so finances can be a little stretched. I also don't sell any of my babies, they are all going to loving homes :)
xx_sheena_xx

Re: Does anyone here make up their own hand raising mix?

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

i have heard of people making their own handraising formula but from what i have the babies often get stunted and dont get the right nurtrision
i wouldnt personal make my own unless i was sure that it was going to bed perfect for the babies
what size bag where you going through? i have 2kg bags and that usually lasted atleast a month...

you can buy vetafarm food online (not sure if thats what your already doing)
might be worth having a look at to see if it would cost you less
http://www.vetafarm.com.au/products/HAN ... -FOOD.html
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Thanks Sheena, I will keep them on the Vetafarm then. I think I've got piggy babies lol. I get the 2.5kg bags. It's a little cheaper off the website, but not much. Oh well, just a thought.

Thanks again :)
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

I think also I go through so much as I spoon feed too. There's quite a bit of 'spillage' :shock: I've never been shown how to use a crop needle, and wouldn't feel confident using one with my shakey hands lol
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

what about syringe feeding?
way safer then crop and way less mess then spoon

you put the metal tip into the baby birds beak and push out the food, do it slowly.
i watch there neck and crop to make sure they are swallowing
Melika

Post by Melika »

Most breeders would be happy to show anyone how to syringe feed. It is easily learned with proper guidance. I taught my sister- breeders taught me. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MariaFT

Post by MariaFT »

Thanks guys. There isn't anyone readily available that I could ask to show me at the moment.

Currently I'm handfeeding 8, but I have separated them, from the 3 larger, and 5 smaller.

The 5 smaller all have no feathers coming through as yet, and a couple still have their eyes closed. They are the best eaters! They are no trouble at all to feed, as they don't seem to care who the 'mummy' is lol.

The 3 larger ones are a different story. It's like groundhog day every day with them. They are terrified first thing in the morning and it's hard getting them to feed, but by the end of the day, they all seem to get the idea, and readily take to the spoon. Come the morning, it's back to 'terrified' lol.

I know this will pass, but it's very frustrating. I'm anticipating by the end of next week all the babies should be able to be put in the same box together, without my fear of anyone being trampled.

I also have another 3 that are weaning, but I think they're being a bit naughty. They are eating seed, fruit and veges, but still scream for the mix. Especially when they see me making it up for everyone else lol.

They are getting two feeds from me a day, but they only have a couple of mouthfulls, then are happy to wander around, destroying and chewing everything in their path.

I think they are more interested in the getting out and playing, than the actual food, and I suspect they are a bit spoiled. I love them all though :)