How many of you have IRNS as pets and have bred them

Moderator: Mods

rav

How many of you have IRNS as pets and have bred them

Post by rav »

Hi Guys;
I was just talking to a breeder and she said that i should not handle my IRN too much as he will not be a good breeding parent?, is that true, i have not had this problem with my cockatiels.
Any input will be appreciated.

ravi
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

It's unlikely that handling your pet could cause it to not breed properly. Mine are too young to breed at this stage. Just have an incubator on stand by in case you want to save troubled youngsters.

Many wild breeder birds have just as much trouble raising chicks. I'd say handle away. She may get agressive during breeding season, but should return to normal after.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I agree, handle that baby as a pet, she deserves it.

She works for you, show her you appreciate it by picking her up and offering a twig of spray millet. I would never deprive an animal of affection, even when they bite the hell out of me. Especially not if they worked for me.

Heck in the south, we even fed and full-filled slaves needs, emotionally. Estatesmen were forever making love to the woman slaves. Also, secretly adorning them with jewels out of love and admiration.

My family lived on the reservation, we never had slaves (way back, I mean) but cant grow up in the mountains and not know what goes on deep in those hills.
~ Mikaela Sky

birdman5000

i have both in one pair

Post by birdman5000 »

:) i have a green pair the male is named sinbad and the female echo. echo will step up on my hand and let me pet her and sit on my shoulder all day, but sinbad will only step up to a stick handle or perch that i hold and then get on my shoulder( but if you try to pet him he will jump away from your hand no matter what i swear this bird would jump into a volcano if you tried to pet him on one :!: ) but he doesnt bite unless you grab him, anyways they are a breeding pair that is still tame although i hav not taken them out since they started nesting so i cant wait till they are done with this clutch to see if they are still as tame they still step up to me (or my stick) inside the cage so i dont think it will be much different when they are done breeding i hope they are still as tame :D