Brooder boxes- what do you use?

Moderator: Mods

julie

Brooder boxes- what do you use?

Post by julie »

just thought I would start a thread so people who are just starting out with breeding can get some ideas of what we use.

Here is my one i made up, it was pretty cheap and easy to make.
Pappagall

Re: Brooder boxes- what do you use?

Post by Pappagall »

Thanks Julie.But cay you pls give some more information like what dimensions and the type of bulb ecc.I will definitely make one as soon as I have the time.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thats an impressive brooder.
Well, I made a brooder out of a fish/mice tank (the ones with the open top for ventilation.. put a container of water for humidity like a small tupperware container. Bought a home brew themometer that you can stick on to the side of the tank. Found it at the department store. Works great. I bought a cheap adjustable desk lamp (I can move it up if its too hot or down if its too cold), and put a 75watt infrared bulb (found in the reptile area of the petshop). Doesnt seem to irritate them at all. Because we have ducted heater on when its cold, I only put the lamp on at night when we turn the heater off and the temp in the house gets down.
I noticed the chicks trying to eat the wood shavings for bedding, so I put a towel down instead.. but that gets might dirty quick, Ive washed a million towels already, was changing them twice a day! Well I actually use the baby cloth nappies that I never used and the million unused baby muslin wraps that my daughter hated being wrapped in as a newborn! There nails seem to get stuck in a normal towel.
Now they are getting big, we moved them into a big tub/toy box. I cut a piece of dowel to fit in there snug for a perch. Next step a cage. :D
I will post a pic of mine when I can.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

I will measure it up and post details.
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

Hi there---I made mine out of a 50 liter plastic storage container.I have 2 yellow light bulbs in it attached to a dimmer switch so I can adjust the temp.A thermometer/hydrometer is attached to the inside si I can keep an eye on temps and humidity.Also add a small tub of water for humidity.--works a treat !!!