DUD EGGS WHAT TO DO

Moderator: Mods

sarahb

DUD EGGS WHAT TO DO

Post by sarahb »

well my eggs were due to hatch today and they didnt so i decided to go candle them well with a led torch and anyway all three look to be infertile :cry: this is what they looked like

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... 29,r:2,s:0

anyway what do u do when this happens do you leave them there or take them out or what ? this is my first time breeding and im so disappointed and dont know what to do. any help would be appreciated.

pinkdevil

Re: DUD EGGS WHAT TO DO

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Sarah, if it is the pairs first time breeding, don't be too discouraged as a couple of my "first timers" have done the same thing.
You have 2 options, leave the eggs in the nest with the hen for a few more days, just to make sure, or dispose of the eggs and see if the parents go down again.
You could always open one egg first and see if there was anything, if nothing, open the rest.

There are a lot of factors why dud eggs. Like I mentioned above, first timers, inexperienced, male got to the hen too late, fertility problems, weather, so many reasons.
I have a hen who has constantly had dud eggs last 3 seasons. Gave her a proven male this time round to see what happens. She is "due" any day now, not that I am holding too much hope for her. :roll:
sarahb

Post by sarahb »

Thanks pink yeah they are a proven pair they had had about 4 or 5 lots of babys prior to me buying them i think it might have been the move as we moved house before she laid she actually had her first egg 3 days after we got to the new house so that might of been what went wrong. i broke the eggs and they were empty just had yolk in them but things are looking up i seen him courting her again and have also finally found a lutino girl to go with my lutino boy so i have 2 pairs now :mrgreen: also i just got a pair of blue quakers also and my new eclectus pair laid an egg yesterday morning we weren't here and had only just put them in there new avairy and hadn't put the nest box in and she laid it anyway and it broke on the floor but we got the nest box in yesterday afternoon and she was in there this morning when i got up so god willing i should have babys from one of the pairs of birds soon lol
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

You could have better luck second time round for the ringies. Like you said, the move could have been a bit off putting.

Good luck with the eckies. Think my hen is looking for her male neighbour to come visit her. :lol:
I have not got a good sized aviary to house the pair ready yet, so she will just have to make do with being able to see him. :lol:
TD

Post by TD »

Sarah, the exact same thing happened to me last year. The first lot of eggs were all infertile and I was very disappointed! I am pretty sure the reason was that the male was inexperienced (even though he is fully mature) and the hen typically scared the crap out of him.
I took the nest box down so that they could both 're-aquaint' themselves with one another. I think this did the trick, as she was very partial to the nest box which means the male didn't see much of her! All of a sudden I noticed they were very in love, and they produced 2 beautiful babies.

Good luck - things will eventually happen.
julie

Post by julie »

Good strong sturdy purches help too, if the hen is wobblying around it doesnt go right.
loveindianringnecks

Post by loveindianringnecks »

Hi my irn hen layed 3 eggs 2 are dud and the 3rd egg is heavy and dark inside what does this mean ???