breeding ringnecks

Moderator: Mods

ringsrock

breeding ringnecks

Post by ringsrock »

I am thinking about purchasing two turquoise indian ringnecks who are mated. I went to look at them today and they look good except the female is missing hair on the back of her head. The lady selling them said it was due to the male trying to mate with her and most birds have this. Does anyone have any advice? This is my first time with indian ringnecks and I am unsure if I should purchase these birds or keep hunting. Thanks so much for any advice.
Lilly

Re: breeding ringnecks

Post by Lilly »

Regaine should help it grow hair... however your bird needs feathers (sorry couldn't help myself) :mrgreen:

I do know that over zealous mating can cause some birds to lose feathers on the back of the head.... they do grow back. The thing really is are they proven mates i.e have the produced a few nests of young..?
ringsrock

Post by ringsrock »

Oh yeah that should help lol. :mrgreen:

I haven't purchased these birds yet. I am thinking about it but didn't know that the cock could be so agressive. I thought it was the hen that was the aggressor. They are quite young about 2 years old and have not produced young yet. The male is trying and the female is not cooperating at this time. I don't know if I should purchase them. They sure don't look as stunning as the pictures on the internet. I might want to wait. Does anybody know what the babies would be if they are both blue-turquiose birds? Thanks
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

I can't say about the colour but with the mating it's quite common in birds that the female looses feathers as the male grips as he is mating they tend to grab feathers to balance themselves.

I think to be honest if you have doubts then that should be enough of an indication... trust your gut feeling.
ringsrock

Post by ringsrock »

I decided not to purchase these birds. I actually found some very beautiful ringnecks today. The hen is cinnamon and the cock is lutino split to blue. The other hen is silver. She needs a mate. I don't know what color to purchase for her. The lady said that she can throw mauve and blue. What would be a good cock choice to continue to get these great mutation colors? thanks everyone for your input.