My birds won't breed

Moderator: Mods

MizzV

My birds won't breed

Post by MizzV »

Hi all, I've been reading the forum for years and decided I need HELP please :D

I have a 3yo female and the male I have is a successful breeder (by all accounts). I've recently adjusted their breeding log from horizontal to vertical so she can come in from the top (which I heard they like to do), but I'm still not seeing any action or affection between the 2. They've been living together for 2 years already but she's very territorial and when he goes near her, she lunges and chases him away. She's bonded with me, however as whenever she comes out she attacks me, bites til she draws blood and chases the kids :twisted: , I don't take her out anymore. Might sound awful but I won't put my kids at risk. So (sigh) I'm hanging out until she breeds, but if anyone could give me tips, that would be great.

Thanks
julie

Re: My birds won't breed

Post by julie »

where abouts are you located- is it breeding season yet?

When mine get naughty I take both out and swap some things around in the aviary, then when they go back in it isnt either ones cage its different to the pair. But sometimes the females just like chasing the males, they normally warm up to them when breeding season is coming up.
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Why dont you try to sort her character problems first before trying to get them to breed? If shes attacking you and you're not letting her out (birds dont really get punishment), shes just going to get worse. You might want to becareful with that male too. Dont want her killing him. Things like that have happened. If they were my birds, I would tame her first before trying the breeding. At least that way, you'd be able to visit the babies without she ripping your finger off. It would also be good for her as a mother to have a happy atmosphere. If she can come out and have some playtime and relax from all the tension of breeding. It also could be that shes just not ready yet.

An edit to my post: You said shes bonded to you. Thats the reason she attacks the kids. She sees you everyday and you're spending more time with them than you do with her. Shes jealous. IRNs are not known to mate for life, so she might take the boy in the end but not if she utterly dislikes him. My suggestion would be to stop locking her up. Gradually try to reestablish the relationship you had with your bird. She may draw blood but shes not really a lion. Its also her way of telling you shes pissed.
MizzV

Post by MizzV »

Thanks heaps for your comments Julie and Smallworld. Julie, I'm in Darwin :D coolness isn't a problem here :lol: .

Sorry about the late reply, I haven't logged in since last week. Bye for now.
julie

Post by julie »

They start breeding over the cooler months, not real sure when they start in darwin. I know they start to breed at different times to Melbourne,Syd ect than they do where i am in Wagga.