female ring neck dieing ?

Moderator: Mods

s griffiths

female ring neck dieing ?

Post by s griffiths »

i have 2 pair of ring necks thay have just layed 4 eggs per pair but this week the females cant fly or get back to the nest box and sorta lay on there side and have to climbe up the aviery cageing any ideas of the prob ? thx
smallworld

Re: female ring neck dieing ?

Post by smallworld »

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but why do you waste time posting this on a forum? From what I gather, your birds are too weak to move and function normally. In which case, I would personally ring the doorbell of my avian vet and make sure he takes a look at them.
Putting this out on a forum and waiting for opinions, could mean the life of both your birds. Please dont waste crucial time.

Is it possible, they've been over bred? Their diet not complete for pregnancy?

In any case, my response to this situation would be Vet! Vet! Vet!
s griffiths

Post by s griffiths »

closest vets not open for 3 days but thx for your hellp
s griffiths

Post by s griffiths »

and thay get the best of diet fresh frut and water every day
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Ok do you have an emergency vet service in your area? We've one over here. Do you know where your vet lives? One of ours lives right above his practice and I once rang his doorbell on a Sunday at 7am because of one of the birds.

Well, this might not be the best advise for your eggs, but if you've a red light, it helps keep the birds warm. I'd say leave them in a small cage, so they would not have to waste whatever energy is left going to get food and water. Keep everything close by. Try to get them something to eat. If they stop eating, its not a good sign. Syringe in fluids if you have to. Baby food, if you have some or pureed veges or fruits that fits into a syringe is a good way to go.

This is what I did, during an emergency once.
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Also with the red light, dont leave it on for more than 15 minutes at a time and the distance should be at least 30 centimeters. Give them an hour or so in between the 15 minutes. Try to keep the temperatures warm and constant.
n9ter

Post by n9ter »

probably egg bound, I've read that if you keep your bird humid in a fish tank, warm and humid. She'll probably squeeze out the egg slowly.. Sure bet is you try to get to the vet they'll take it out..
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi, s griffiths;

I agree with n9ter in diagnosis and treatment but to be sure you should touch the low belly of the females looking for the egg. Weaknes is due to hypocalcemia, so you can also help your birds giving them a solution with calcium and vitamin D.
When did each female lye the last egg?

Recio
alyce

Post by alyce »

MattAZ:

The whole point of someone posting on here is to get help. You're not helping. Not everyone lives in areas that have close access to EMERGENCY avian vet. care. I know I don't. And I'm positive swearing at someone for making a mistake isn't the right reaction. Your mamma would have told you growing up "if you dont have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"....

S. Griffiths:

Sorry about your birds. For future reference (im assuming that your issue has been resolved) Ive heard that if you moisten the vent a little it might help in passing the egg if they are egg bound. The calcium solution is a great idea (if your hens are low in calcium, it can effect the formulation of the shell, as well as make her muscles too weak to perform the contractions necessary to expel the egg). MAKE SURE TO CHECK WHEN SHE PASSES THE EGG THAT IT HASNT CRACKED!! All sorts of bad things can happen if the egg cracks inside her vent!

Best of luck and hope your hens are ok!

Alyce
rebecca malka

Post by rebecca malka »

[quote="MattAZ"]Lady (Guy?), you're a fucking idiot. How irresponsible can you be to have taken on breeding parrots without having covered your emergency help? As an owner of a female IRA I would sooner see you die than her. Yes, I know I sound like a PETA freak but you're an asshole.[/quote]
[size=200Administration and moderators, please remove this comment. I find it lacking taste in language, at times my granddaughter reads these forums to learn more about our birds. INDECENT language is not fit for a bird forum. I also found a part a bit to threatening "As an owner of a female IRA I would sooner see you die than her." . Who is this person? Perhaps not everyone is as experienced at the writer of this comment but this persons mouth had to be washed out with soap a LONG time ago!! BTW IRA is not the bird in question it is IRN

! ][/size]
nil

Post by nil »

.........are there any news for the bird?
rebecca malka

Post by rebecca malka »

[quote="nil"].........are there any news for the bird?[/quote] I pm'd the same question. I have not yet received an answer.