Any ideas

Moderator: Mods

yazzie

Any ideas

Post by yazzie »

A pair of my birds has laid a full round of 4 fertile eggs the first egg was laid of the 27 th of last month so by my reckoning it should have hatched on the 22nd I have checked the eggs this am and there is no sign of the egg even been piped any ideas
333greenbean333

Re: Any ideas

Post by 333greenbean333 »

i would give it 5 days, just in case. once my indain ringneck pair layed 5 eggs and the first one didnt hatch till 28 days old.
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
yazzie

Post by yazzie »

Thanks for that I was just looking at their records from last year and the first egg hatched smack on 23 days so that is reassuring thanks
yazzie

Post by yazzie »

Hi I have looked at the eggs again this am and they are fertile but nothing has hatched I worked it out the first egg should hatch on the 22nd but still nothing I am at a loss why the are not hatching
Chienderace

Post by Chienderace »

If the weather has been cold, I would add an extra couple of days . My reckoning would have the first chick out on the 27th. They don't always incubate from the first egg laid. Mine usually start on egg three, so I calculate from then on. We are in Australia, and its warmer than Wales, and still they don't always hatch on time!
Ron
yazzie

Post by yazzie »

Hi Still no chicks the first egg is over a week over due now should I still leave them .
Chienderace

Post by Chienderace »

Try putting an egg very close to your ear and listen for any sounds of chipping. If they are quiet, I would say that the embryos are dead. The hen would be close to leaving them soon anyway if they don't come out.
yazzie

Post by yazzie »

Hi the eggs did not hatch I opened them this am and there were chicks in them all there was still yoke in 2 of them but the chick was formed I have no idea what had happened it is such a shame .
Chienderace

Post by Chienderace »

:?: Its a shame that has happened. It probably was that they got chilled very near to hatching and died. The yolk is absorbed just prior to hatching so it looks as if they were on the verge when they died.
There is still time for them to go down again, and hopefully with a better result.
Ron
yazzie

Post by yazzie »

Hi thanks Ron I hope they will go down again, they had 2 chicks last year and I was thrilled this time as they had the 4 full eggs. But you win some you lose some they are a lovely pair so fingers crossed.